You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Desktop iCloud Saves Don't Show on iOS

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

It sounds as though it is behaving as one would expect if there is something amiss somewhere in your normal user account domain, but there are too many possibilities to say what that might be. It could be a corrupted file somewhere in ~/Library/Preferences that is seemingly unrelated to iCloud or Affinity, an obscure multi-way conflict with third party add-ons, or who knows what else.

I don't want to be premature... but... I might've fixed it! 

I took a chance and started going through various Library plist files that might be related to my ID account. Deleted them, but saved a copy first. The first attempt killed my email accounts, but I got them back with the files I saved. 

There's one file that I removed and restarted that might've been the corrupt one. So far, my Pages test document in the Pages icloud drive folder appears to be syncing again from desktop to iOS and back to OSX. 

The culprit MIGHT have been "accountsd.plist"

Fingers crossed, but looking good so far.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:25 AM, DWright said:

Can you please check your iCloud settings on your desktop to make sure that the Affinity apps are enable to documents on the iCloud drive, also can you try saving the .afpub file to the root of the iCloud location.

I have followed your work flow on my Mac and iPad anf dI am able to save to the iCloud and open the saved file on my iPad

Yeah, I already tried all of that... from every angle possible. I've been troubleshooting this for over 2 weeks. Trying everything I could find related to icloud sync and error problems. 

I'm not absolutely certain... but I may have found the corrupt file and I think I might have fixed it. 

After creating a Test User account and seeing that icloud appeared to be working as expected when logged into my Test User account... I started looking for possible corrupt user ID files. 

If this has indeed worked... it was pure luck that it was only the 5th or 6th plist file I tried to replace that fixed it "accountsd.plist"

This file is located in Library/SyncedPreferences

Hmmm.... still getting the error when I try to access icloud drive folders via Safari web browser though. 

Dang it!

Oh well... at least it's syncing now. 

I've already tried clearing Safari cache and history. No luck. 

Bad news... since I THOUGHT iCloud was now fixed... I made the mistake of re-enabling all of the Affinity iCloud stuff as well as my iAwrite app. Now it's not syncing again. Evidently had nothing to do with that Library file I removed. 

I'm giving up once and for all now. Going back to Dropbox. iCloud sync has cost me so my time of my life that I'll never get back. I have no clue if it's iCloud or Affinity, or iAwrite that's to blame. And now I don't really care. Back to Dropbox which works and maybe I'll revisit icloud again in a few months. 

UPDATE:

I'm posting these updates through this icloud drive nightmare here, because it's certainly related to the Affinity Publisher Beta. And, I thought I'd update my progress in case anyone else runs across this extremely aggravating scenario. 

This is the last time I think I'll ever participate in a public beta of any program. I think I'll leave it to those who don't mind the potential 3 week troubleshooting nightmare you might encounter. ;) 

Anyway...

I think I've finally figured out how to remove these last two stubborn and hidden Publisher folders (both iCloud related). 

I couldn't delete them, but I was able to move them to the desktop. Even after deleting them they'd reform themselves in the Mobile Documents folder (icloud drive data).

So, I signed out of my Apple ID and finally ALL of my iCloud docs were saved. Before, only half of them would save before it would hang. Now it's working. 

After I was completely signed out and backed up. THEN, I moved the hidden Affinity Publisher icloud folders (one of them left over from the beta) to the desktop. Then I was able to delete and they appear to be finally gone. 

Before this, and what finally returned my iCloud to syncing and full functionality... was deleting a little over half a dozen hidden files related to the Publisher beta app that had already been deleted. The program "Funter" allowed me to find them all and ultimately get rid of them. It's free and finally saved the day: https://nektony.com

I just got my Publisher reinstalled, all of my icloud drive reset up... have been syncing various files between OSX, iphone, ipad, etc. from Publisher, Designer, Photo and my other iCloud drive apps... I can't tell you how good it feels to FINALLY have this working and resolved again. This has taken up the better part of 3 weeks to resolve. 

Even though it was absolutely the Publisher Beta and updating to the public version before deleting the Beta that trashed my icloud drive, I know thats always a possibility when you agree to test beta software. 

What is particularly aggravating is how many hidden files from the beta that had caused the nightmare to begin with. I feel like Affinity should have created an Uninstall app that would have completely removed ALL parts of the app including all the scattered hidden ones... once the user was finished using the beta. I thought I'd deleted it all by deleting the visible files, but there were over a half dozen Publisher beta files (labeled publisher beta) that were hidden in various folders in the user library and not visible. I couldn't even find them using the key command to show hidden files. I was ONLY able to find all the culprits using the Funter app cited above. 

Had Affinity offered an uninstall app that would've removed all of the hidden problem files, it would have saved me 3 weeks of HELL and I wouldn't have lost any data. 

So, please Affinity... for future betas please ALSO create an absolute complete uninstall app too so that the user doesn't have to play guessing games for weeks trying to remove hidden system files that are corrupted or otherwise causing havoc.

2 hours ago, skiphunt said:

So, please Affinity... for future betas please ALSO create an absolute complete uninstall app too so that the user doesn't have to play guessing games for weeks trying to remove hidden system files that are corrupted or otherwise causing havoc.

Those files are created & maintained by iCloud services running on your Mac (which is why they are system level files). Serif has no control over that -- the OS does not permit direct access to them by apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Those files are created & maintained by iCloud services running on your Mac (which is why they are system level files). Serif has no control over that -- the OS does not permit direct access to them by apps.

You’re wrong. On the desktop they could write an Uninstaller that removed them. Other applications have this. 

My iCloud Drive stopped working 3 weeks ago when I purchased Publisher and installed it while the beta was still installed.  I had to spend countless hours in the dark grasping at straws and losing data to ultimately discover... what fixed it finally was removing over a half dozen leftover Publisher beta files that were hidden.

I wouldn’t have had to waste all of that time troubleshooting this myself had Affinity offered an Uninstaller for the beta.

Plain and simple.

18 minutes ago, skiphunt said:

You’re wrong.

If they are system level files then Affinity cannot write to them -- the Mac OS does not permit that for security reasons (& Serif certainly could not sell any of its apps in the Mac App Store if they attempted to do that).

If the files "reformed themselves" even when Publisher (beta or retail) is not running, they can't be created by the app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

If they are system level files then Affinity cannot write to them -- the Mac OS does not permit that for security reasons (& Serif certainly could not sell any of its apps in the Mac App Store if they attempted to do that).

If the files "reformed themselves" even when Publisher (beta or retail) is not running, they can't be created by the app.

I’m not going to argue with you again. The message was intended for Affinity support. Are you Affinity support?

I installed the beta and used the app. All was fine until I installed the paid version. What ensued was 3 weeks of fumbling troubleshooting to find hidden files associated with the Affinity beta install. They had freakin “AffinityBeta” right in the file names. All of them. Removing them fixed my iCloud Drive. If I was able to find and remove them, Affinity certainly could’ve written an uninstaller that would’ve done that for me. 

I appreciate that you are a loyal fan of Affinity and feel compelled to appear combative to anyone who appears to be talking smack about your beloved, but Affinity needs to know when this BS happens so that maybe they can prevent it happening to others in the future. That’s all I’m doing. Sharing my findings and unpleasant user experience going from a public beta install to a paid install that shouldn’t have costed me 3 weeks of aggravation. I freaking paid for the app the second I could and installed it. I’m a big fan of Affinity too but they need to know the details of when a user experience goes all kinds of wrong.

I am only telling you what apps running on the Mac OS can & cannot do.

Affinity Photo 

• 7 months later...

I have the same problem. I've been trying all the advice for weeks. The situation is that on a reinstalled PC it does not communicate with icloud but it creates the Publisher folder in the mac. On the second iMac it still does beta. I'm desperate. I can't even try to reinstall the beta and uninstall it somehow. Nowhere is the installer available.