You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DPI info for imported images

I think the app is missing a tool, or I can not finding it, to know what's the DPI of an imported image into a document (or even the real size of the image file in pixels, its resolution). I found that if I important an image I can not tell if the image has the dpi needed for good quality depending of the size it is placed in the design... the only way I can know that is using some math, with the size of the image in inches in the document compared to the resolution of the imported image, but that takes time when there should be some kind of bar, tab or tool where one can see DPI and other relevant info of the images in the document.

• Staff

Hi manthx,

Welcome to the forums :)

If you select the Move tool, then select the embedded image you should see the images physical size, as well as the DPI on the context toolbar in the app. I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

If you select the Move tool, then select the embedded image you should see the images physical size, as well as the DPI on the context toolbar in the app. I hope this helps!

Dan, if you useResize and or Metadata studio, the side sown does not reflect the selected layer in current release. Can do screen recording if needed.

if you resize by dragging with Move tool you get a tiny window that shows size in pixels. No context menu. Is that what you are referring to?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

My sincerest apologies, I was referring to the desktop variant having not read the ticket correctly.

18 hours ago, DM1 said:

if you useResize and or Metadata studio, the side sown does not reflect the selected layer in current release

AFAIK the Resize option has never reflected the selected layer, however I'm not certain about the metadata studio. I'll check this is correct with our Photo expert :)

In terms of viewing the DPI of a placed document on the iPad, I don't believe this is currently possible, so I'm moving this thread to Feature Requests for our devs to see and consider!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Ok, thanks... This would be very useful as many times I have to deal with images that may have or not the required DPI for best quality design. Having that info at hand would make keeping track of the quality of the images easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Here's a hack.
In the Desktop version, the Transform palette will give the width and height of the photo if it is selected. Change the Document's measurements to pixels if it isn't already (and it likely isn't if you are preparing a file for printing).

Up at the top of the document window in the Context bar, choose "Edit Document". This will open a new tab with the embedded photo at its full size.

Compare what the Transform palette says in this "<embedded>" tab against what it says in your finished document tab where the photo is embedded.

For example, if the "<embedded>" tab's Transform palette says "4500px" and the main document's Transform palette says "1000px", you can guess that you are in good shape re: dpi

All this said, it sure would be nice if there was a built in feature that showed the embedded or placed document's details so we could instantly know the photo is safe to print.

29 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Does that "hack" work in the iPad version?

The thread is regarding the iPad version of Designer.

Dang!  I got here via Google and didn't notice which section this thread was in :)

I would strongly believe it would be the same on ipad but I don't use that version. Are you able to confirm or dis-confirm that is the case?

• 4 months later...