You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poor PDF handling

I brought this up for the beta and it seems nothing has changed. Not sure how anyone could use Publisher with poor PDF handling. The original file I brought up in the past was made from Microsoft Word. Sure not a great program for PDF making but never had an issue with them in Indesign. Today I received a print ready PDF from a client. PDF was made in Indesign, everything looks good in Acrobat and Indesign and prints fine. Drop the file in Publisher and immediately the fonts are messed up. To be sure it was not just a preview issue I exported as PDF from Publisher and get the same results with the PDF.  Just awful and I cannot be the only one noticing issues with placed PDF's.... can I?

48103572306_820acd3c95_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.48.05 AM by B P, on Flickr

The actual PDF-handling of Publisher needs the font, which are used in a PDF, to be installed on your machine.

The reason: Publisher opens/places PDFs as editable documents. There actually is no so called „passthrough“ mode. This is a heavy drawback, but I assume, it will be corrected soon.

So: If you install the fonts which are used in the PDF document, all should work fine.

(By the way: Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and try to edit the text, without having the appropriate font installed. You will get font replacement too.)

This is a major blow as a PrintShop owner. They will have to fix it and place a PDF as non editable as well just for placement and layout. I cant have all fonts on the planet loaded on my system. I will have to wait for it since it not usable at the moment. (I purchased the real thing on day one and didn't got the beta. If I would, I would have waited to the next version)

Edited by Duboiz

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

The actual PDF-handling of Publisher needs the font, which are used in a PDF, to be installed on your machine.

The reason: Publisher opens/places PDFs as editable documents. There actually is no so called „passthrough“ mode. This is a heavy drawback, but I assume, it will be corrected soon.

So: If you install the fonts which are used in the PDF document, all should work fine.

(By the way: Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and try to edit the text, without having the appropriate font installed. You will get font replacement too.)

This issue has been around a while and mentioned a long time ago. If they have not sorted it out by now I am assuming they are not interested in Publisher working this way. These little things make it unusable in my opinion.

@Duboiz - I played around with the beta a bit, this was an issue I brought up then as well. I still bought it assuming these little things would not be corrected. I do appreciate the attempt and I like to be somewhat familiar of other options out there, especially at the price of 1 month for Adobe CC. Not a bad buy for what it is though not ready for pro work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it has delayed me using Publisher in anger as I cannot place adverts in the periodicals I work on. Have tried converting the pdfs to .eps in Acrobat Pro and that works in some cases but not all. It is very nice being able to edit pdfs on the fly from within Publisher but I would prefer a toggle switch that kept the pdf as uneditable - "passthrough" mode.

Nearly everything else got me super excited by Publisher but I can't really use it till this is solved.

1 hour ago, simoncox said:

It is very nice being able to edit pdfs on the fly from within Publisher but I would prefer a toggle switch that kept the pdf as uneditable - "passthrough" mode.

Passthrough also depends on the ability to interpret embedded fonts, so this isn’t an ‘either/or’ situation.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)