You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shake Concept

ronnyb

*Very* nice details, Ronny …  :D

In parentheses: The only thing I am asking myself is how it would look like, if the H and particularly the E were a little less "steep" or "skewed" … do you know what I mean? What do you think?

Thanks @retrograde! There is a third file attached to the original post, it's hard to see because it's the outline/wireframe view! If you look closely below the second image you can faintly see the preview and click on it...

Wow, that's pretty cool, no crit here but would love to see your paths view for this one. Nice job!

You know I'm not crazy about that either, and I thought it would "go away" after I placed all the other smaller slices on top of it, but it's still there... I may try exaggerating the amount of slide in each slice, perhaps that will make it less prominent... I was flipping through a book today and of course I saw a really great reference, and it's more of an off the shelf font, but still the effect is better pronounce... I may give it a second go-round in the near future...

*Very* nice details, Ronny …  :D

In parentheses: The only thing I am asking myself is how it would look like, if the H and particularly the E were a little less "steep" or "skewed" … do you know what I mean? What do you think?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Right, I hadn't noticed it before, thanks. Nicely done, the transparency effects make it look like it's all connected... fyi, personally I don't mind the H and E skewing, it works for the word I think. If the word was "static", maybe not so much...  :)

• Staff

I don't think there's any overruling necessary - everyone has an opinion and they're all valid - if you thought it, then you can be sure other people will think it too... As long as you've told someone your thoughts, then at least they're free to act on them or not and you've been as helpful as you can :)  That's my take on it anyway :)

Maybe the 'E's a little too much sweked IMHO, but it's a fantastic piece. I can't imagine how you'd even begin an illustration like this, looks like a lot of work. But it's paid off. Lovely stuff.

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Thanks Matt, that's what I was going for :) I have to say AD is just a pleasure to work with. It was just so buttery smooth, zooming in and out with all those layers and effects was just a flawless experience. I can only imagine having this file in AI, it would be such a lazy dog panning and zooming and redrawing! Also, I absolutely LOVE that Noise is an attribute of Color, that's so brilliant, I always hated having to rasterize and add noise to minimize that default "digital gradient look". I do wish all instances of the Color palette had a number field for Noise; there are some fly-outs that don't have a Noise input field, only a slider...

I think this is awesome! Real feeling of movement which is spot on for the word! :D

Thanks Leigh! I'd say I spent about 12 hours on it, more or less... Unfortunately, my Macbook Pro has been having poltergeist / exorcist events this last week, where "the ghost in the machine" takes over my trackpad and does whatever it wants, moves the cursor randomly, clicks and drags, invokes Exposé, creates new folders on the desktop, total utter chaos! I backed up my system and did a clean install of the OS, hoping that would fix it, but it only did so momentarily. What's worse is that somehow Time Machine only backed up some of the files, in this case it didn't back up the working file to this project, only the high res JPG test outputs... Yeah, I'm about to take this laptop out back and put a few 9mm rounds through the trackpad to see if that fixes the issue, or at least releases the spirit to go on to its next incarnation as a MacPro or something.... SOOOO frustrating to loose days of work!!!

Nice work ronnyb! How long did it take to create?

Yes, I think so too George, the E could be a little less stepped vertically... I started by converting the word to curves, creating a diagonal grid to follow the angle of the type (which in hindsight was probably not the best idea, I have some ideas to better convey the shaking, maybe for v2.0) and then slicing the type were it intersected the grid, closing up the slices, colored them with equally spaced hues, and then offset them vertically along the slanted grid. After that it was a matter of adding the smaller shapes also on the diagonal grid and using Matt's AWESOME corner tool to give all the pieces a radius...

Maybe the 'E's a little too much sweked IMHO, but it's a fantastic piece. I can't imagine how you'd even begin an illustration like this, looks like a lot of work. But it's paid off. Lovely stuff.

George

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

• Staff

Thanks Leigh! I'd say I spent about 12 hours on it, more or less... Unfortunately, my Macbook Pro has been having poltergeist / exorcist events this last week, where "the ghost in the machine" takes over my trackpad and does whatever it wants, moves the cursor randomly, clicks and drags, invokes Exposé, creates new folders on the desktop, total utter chaos! I backed up my system and did a clean install of the OS, hoping that would fix it, but it only did so momentarily. What's worse is that somehow Time Machine only backed up some of the files, in this case it didn't back up the working file to this project, only the high res JPG test outputs... Yeah, I'm about to take this laptop out back and put a few 9mm rounds through the trackpad to see if that fixes the issue, or at least releases the spirit to go on to its next incarnation as a MacPro or something.... SOOOO frustrating to loose days of work!!!

I had a MacBook Pro that did the same when hot - used to drive me crazy! I feel your pain :) 

Yeah I've tried the PRAM, the SMC reset and took it to the "geniuses" at the apple store... they just suggested replacing the trackpad, but I'm not convinced that's actually the problem. It's not happening at the moment; if it comes on after the fans do, I'm thinking it's an expanding battery pushing up against the trackpad... or could be the trackpad. 

Ronny - try resetting your machine's PRAM - it has solved all sorts of spooky things with our machines over the last 5 years! :)

Thanks Miguel, yeah it was worth it, I got to work with AD for an extended project, and I really enjoyed using the transparency and vector / path tools. Once I get my system fully back online I'll try a different version...

Nice work Ronny. It may have been time consuming, but totally worth the effort.

Yeah Leigh, I think it's the heat causing the battery to expand and push up against the trackpad is what I hear grumblings on around the interwebbings...

I had a MacBook Pro that did the same when hot - used to drive me crazy! I feel your pain :)