You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Your file has errors": what does it mean?

When opening a recent file, I got the following "Your file has errors. It was possible to open it, but you are advised to take a copy of this file and report this error". Is there a way to find out what kind of error is this, and where its it? Is there something missing? The error appears in both Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.404 beta. Thanks in advance.

• Staff

Hi rubs!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, could you please upload a copy of your file to the following link so we can investigate this for you?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8iOlk3eHMxxOjc5SGtIR

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, I've forwarded the file to our QA and Dev team and I'll respond here with any information I can :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

The error message is due to Pixel data missing, this doesn't happen very often but when it does there's no 'trail' left in the files data to explain why.

I've manually found the affected layers, these were 2 pixel layers on Artboard 020 - Serviços. After removing these 2 layers and saving the document, the error no longer appears when opening.

For our future reference and so was can narrow down on what may have caused this, could you please confirm;

1. Did you even receive a file saving error with this document?
  2. Has the document ever been opened in Publisher beta, or any of the other 1.6 betas?
  3. What was the contents of these pixel layers? 
  4. Had the contents been opened or edited in an external app (either Affinity or otherwise)?

The more information you can provide, the better - many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

The error message is due to Pixel data missing, this doesn't happen very often but when it does there's no 'trail' left in the files data to explain why.

I've manually found the affected layers, these were 2 pixel layers on Artboard 020 - Serviços. After removing these 2 layers and saving the document, the error no longer appears when opening.

For our future reference and so was can narrow down on what may have caused this, could you please confirm;

1. Did you even receive a file saving error with this document?
  2. Has the document ever been opened in Publisher beta, or any of the other 1.6 betas?
  3. What was the contents of these pixel layers? 
  4. Had the contents been opened or edited in an external app (either Affinity or otherwise)?

The more information you can provide, the better - many thanks in advance!

The file was made in a previous 1.7 Beta by a colleague, but he doesn't remember if there was any saving errors. We never tested Publisher, nor opened the file in any other app then Designer. What might have happened (can't be sure at this time) is that this particular file was created by editing a previous AD 1.6 document. Fortunately we keep several previous versions of all our work.  I've just uploaded them for you to check:

• v01-v03, apr 4-9, no errors.
  • v04, apr 18, smaller file with error, maybe with the pixel layers were lost here.

Perhaps you can find what's missing by comparing versions 3 and 4.

P. S. I wish Serif support was always so quick to respond, :D thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for that, I'll make sure this info is passed through to the relevant dev! :)

Please note -

Many thanks!