You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop Persona Clipping Controls

I don't normally work with raw images in APB since I use APB as an external editor for a workflow tool. However I started to play around with the Develop Persona and quickly realized that I have some pretty basic questions about some of the functionality. I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.

1) There are three clipping controls - Highlights, Shadows and Tones. Presumably they are "off" when a new raw image is loaded and, if someone is only adjusting one raw image at a time, it is relatively easy to remember their state. However, if someone is switching back and forth between several raw images, it is easy to forget what state the controls were left in earlier. Is there any way to know what their "state" is (on or off)? I do not see any indication about their state. Yes, if there is clipping you can see. But if there is no clipping how does one tell?

2) It is easy to know what clipped Highlights and clipped shadows mean and how to address them. But what, exactly, are clipped Tones? Presumably the Highlights control (or exposure) can be used to remove clipped highlights and the Shadow control (or exposure) can be used to remove clipped shadows. I have been able to control the clipped tones similarly (exposure/highlights/shadows), but are those the controls that I should be using?

3) I have been able to create clipped highlights (using the Highlights or exposure controls) and it is easy to see the clipping, which is colored red. Similarly I have been able to see the clipped tones (which are yellow). Either I have not been able to produce clipped shadows using the exposure/shadows controls or the clipping is not working on on my system. Based on other editors I have used I would expect clipped shadows to be blue but, since I can not seem to produce them with my images, is that right?

Thanks.

1. you can click them, when they have a dark background they are off  

2. my guess is that it is an indicator when one or two channels are clipped  (reach 255) but one still holds some information while highlight warning indicates all 3 channels are clipped  ....but who knows  & bug alarm :  tone warning active chances the histogram  ! 

3. black clipping control does not work on my system either

.......and the curve tool in the tone panel  has no influence on any clipping indicator this is confusing but maybe by design 

one more DP bug: when profiles is unchecked no icc profile is embedded 

1. you can click them, when they have a dark background they are off  

2. my guess is that it is an indicator when one or two channels are clipped  (reach 255) but one still holds some information while highlight warning indicates all 3 channels are clipped  ....but who knows  & bug alarm :  tone warning active chances the histogram  ! 

3. black clipping control does not work on my system either

.......and the curve tool in the tone panel  has no influence on any clipping indicator this is confusing but maybe by design 

one more DP bug: when profiles is unchecked no icc profile is embedded 

1. I had not noticed that until your post. Thank you.

2. I don't see that. I do see the histogram change when each button is pressed, but then it restores itself to the original shape on my system.

3. Have you filed a bug report about the black clipping control?

• 6 months later...

Coming into this late, but playing with the version I purchased today. I'm assuming and I hope that Show Clipped Tones is showing us out of gamut clipping based on the raw data and whatever RGB color space is selected. I say this because when I select sRGB, I see 'clipped tones' but not when I toggle to ProPhoto RGB. This is exactly the same behavior one would see in Adobe Camera Raw in both the histogram (individual clipped color channels meaning saturation clipping) and overlay. 

Can someone from the company verify that this is indeed the case? It would allow users to select an appropriate encoding color space for raw data conversions. Which begs the question you folks may not wish to answer, can you give us some idea of the processing color space gamut used on raw data? It would appear it's quite large, at least as large as ProPhoto as no saturation clipping is seen. If so, like ACR, I'd probably just always load ProPhoto RGB in the Profile area from now on. No reason to clip colors...

Clipped tones shows pixels where only *some* of the channels are blown - i.e.. the Red channel is blown, but not green and blue.

This means the hue of the pixel has changed due to clipping - which is often undesirable..

I think you're using hue when you mean saturation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(photography):

Clipping in some color channels may occur when an image is rendered to a different color space, when the image contains colors that fall outside the target color space. Such colors are referred to as out-of-gamut.

• 3 years later...

Apologies for waking up this thread, but I have been through all the documentation, and about ten potentially-related forum posts, and this is the closest topic thread I've seen, for resolving what the difference is between Clipped Highlihts/Tones/Shadows. I do understand the normal Highlights and Shadows clipping scenarios (at least according to a few other Raw developers), but for me, a Clipped Highlight/Shadow could be just one channel, or it could be a few. Not sure if I understand the intent of indicating when it's only one channel. I think I see what AndrewRodney was hinting at: perhaps it's when a channel is blown for a given colour space, but the raw data might have more wiggle room using a different colour space. I was trying to repair a few of these "Clipped Tone" indications, and wasn't sure how to go about it.

I realize there's probably a message or documentation entry that addresses this, but I'm probably using the wrong search terms, so apologies again for calling this out.

Thanks!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.