You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I continue to have difficulty understanding the selection tool in AP. I expect the tool to behave like other software where I can make my selection and immediately copy/paste as a new object, or delete it. It seems that I have to go through the additional step(s) of refining the outputting. Is this the case or am I missing something?

I keep going back to Pixelmator Pro for fast selection edits, and I'd rather not. 

Refining the selection (or not!) shouldn’t make any difference. The main thing is to make sure that you’re working on a ‘Pixel’ layer rather than an ‘Image’ layer; the latter is treated as a single object instead of a collection of pixels, so it isn’t suitable for working with things like pixel selections. Right-click on an Image layer in the Layers panel and choose ‘Rasterize...’ to convert it to a Pixel layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Interesting. I guess I never noticed or expected that. I figured you have an "image"  or you have a vector.

So, what is an image if it is not a raster, or what is the benefit of having a difference?

Because "image" retains all the data as an embedded file, and you can resize it more than once, it'll use the original image datas.

If you rasterize at a smaller size, you won't be able to enlarge it at its original size and get back the original datas, but enlarged pixels that can look ugly.

I think I get it, buuuut once you rasterize (so that edits such as this can be made) you have lost that data. So, in order to get around that, I guess you have to make a copy or the "image", which kind of sucks then.