You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patch tool adds colors that are not there after developing RAW file.

Using the patch tool (on a RAW file developed) it adds color that are not there to the patch.

It copies from the area selected but changes the colors.

Using 32t Apple engine RAW it adds colors like in picture 1 and 2.

Using 32+16 bit Affinity engine RAW (Or Apple 16 bit RAW) it adds shadows/lights or hues like in picture 3.

Nr 1 is from trying to patch the grass next to the patch.

Nr 2 is trying a different area up in a tree.

Nr 3 shows added shadow and hue.

Nr 4 Video (crappy) but shows how it's not consistent but can change relative to mouse position.

1.png.edb2958dcff32c3017b31a53a5d62186.png

2.png.ca361294dc991a09a8bb3c97401928f6.png

3.png.dbececa5a04dffb5d8782d753734fe2d.png

• Affinity 1.7.1 OSX Mojave 10.14.5, Macbook pro 15 Retina 2014, Geforce GT 750M + Iris pro 
  • Open a RAW file, develop it, use the patch tool, depending on placement of mouse in the picture the colors are distorted more or less.
  • Using external monitor 4k through thunderbolt -> DP cable
Edited by Stapler

I can confirm this, also the same behaviour on a jpg file opened in Photo. It does it whether directly on the image layer or on a new pixel layer sampling from current layer & below. MacBook Pro 2016, Sierra. No external monitor. I don't remember this happening in the Betas...however I don't use the patch tool on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

What am I missing? I cannot reproduce this on a developed raw or a jpeg. Tried the different colour formats too.

Are you guys using Metal compute? Have you tried disabling it from Preferences > Performance? 

You are welcome to Temview to try it for yourself if you want to.

Tried now with Open GL (not basic)

Tried with Serif engine also (both 32 and 16 bit) same result (with fog like distortion).

Result using 32 bit Apple RAW engine.

895414733_OpenGLtest.png.1084d215d25bdccb68636110e4d52d02.png

With 16 Bit Apple i don't get the crazy colors but they are different like a fog over the image:

1052394411_16bitapple.png.3476b7accce5602709c766744a09c35f.png

19 hours ago, Chris B said:

What am I missing? I cannot reproduce this on a developed raw or a jpeg. Tried the different colour formats too.

Are you guys using Metal compute? Have you tried disabling it from Preferences > Performance? 

Hi Chris,

I am using Open GL, All I did was open the jpg, add a new pixel layer, selected the patch tool and did a random selection with the tool set to current layer and below, I took a screenshot then added the red x to show where my cursor was to get the strange effect. This was using the beta version 1.7.2.146, the same results are in the current release.

Patch Tool.png

This is the same file but a very quick develop from the raw, 32bit HDR ROMM profile, selection is similar but the cursor is in the same place, same procedure as for the jpg. In the 32 bit mode you also get the vibrant colours, as to be expected with the extended colour space. 

If I use the Apple raw engine the result is the same as the jpg, just hotspots not the extra colour.

Patch Toll 32 bit.png

Hi @Chris B

I have saved both versions as AF files with the selection intact, all that you need to do is choose the patch tool and change to current layer and below then put your cursor where I have put the red x, you should see the effect in both files. Can you provide a dropbox link and I will upload both files

• Staff

Right I think I've got this now. I think the images I was initially using weren't the best. Opened a few colourful raw files and I'm now seeing it. I'll do some comparisons between 1.6 and 1.7 and see if I can tell what has changed. Thanks for your contributions :) 

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

So this seems to be the same as in 1.6 so I don't think it's a regression but I'm getting blue tones (seen below) which I can't explain so I've enquired with the developers.

Thanks Chris, I have been using the 1.7 betas for so long I can't remember how things worked in 1.6 :), The few times I have used the patch tool in 1.7 the images were not colourful so I didn't notice the effect. I was intrigued by Stapler's original post so had a closer look.

22 hours ago, Chris B said:

So this seems to be the same as in 1.6 so I don't think it's a regression but I'm getting blue tones (seen below) which I can't explain so I've enquired with the developers.

Thank you for looking in to this!

There is always something that needs to be fixed so it is a hassle to not be able to use this (and other) tools see below.

For further information, it's not limited to the patch tool, this is an image from the Healing tool that shows the same discolouration.

Healing.png.e9093eb2a52fdeafeadfa80c17532dc5.png

And this is from the blemish removal tool.

Blemish.png.df4c68e856a0583f9a2f6894f1c36986.png

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, MEB said:

According to the development, the patch tool/algorithm was designed to work with similar source and destinations patches - for example to fix skin issues. If they differ too much the resulting tones/colours are affected when the algorithm tries to blend them in. 

Ok, so are you saying that this will not be looked at as it "works" as intended?

If the colors from a patch differ  so we get defects in color, use a different method?

Just so i understand how we work around it.

My personal experience from the issue however is that it even though i patch from a similar area the patch sometimes gets a lot of colorshift but move a couple of pixels and the issue is not all that big. 

Maybe there is room for some improvement or perhaps a setting for the patch tool with "Sensitivity" option so we can tweak it?

From just a clean image patch 0% Sensitivity (cut and paste basically) to 100% Sensitivity using the blending modes that is built in the tool.

That would help a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Stapler, ucs308,
Sorry for the delayed reply. It's not the differing colour of the patches specifically that's the issue, if I understood correctly it's the elements/structure contained within the patches that may trigger how the algorithm reacts/blends them leading to those colour shifts. It's not yet clear to me in what exact circumstances this happens. I will take a deeper look at this during this weekend/testing with various images and will talk with dev team to see if I can clarify in what exact circumstances these colour shifts occur and how the tool is supposed to work.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff
9 hours ago, JohnWGa said:

Has this been looked into further?  The patch tool is unusable as it is now.

Welcome to the forums JohnWGa,

Can you provide an example? The Patch Tool for me works flawlessly for its intended use (removing blemishes etc.). Here is the blurb from the Help file:

Patching, like healing, blends the target pixels with the sample pixels by matching the texture, tone, and transparency of the sample pixels with the target pixels. For effective results, colours in the source and target areas should vary slowly to help create a seamless boundary that blends into the target's surroundings.

Take care to avoid including in your source sharp edges where colour changes dramatically, which can introduce unwanted colour tinges at the target.

So we even warn against using it for sharp edges (where one colour meets a totally different one, for example). If you use it on a cluster of blemishes on a face, it should work perfectly.