You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Assets have dissappeared in new version.

Can anyone tell me how to find the asset file (*.afassets) that I'd built up in the Beta version? Now I've purchased and installed the retail version not even the basic assets are showing, and the hundreds I'd built up during the beta phase have all dissappeared. I would have assumed that all information relating to any work would transfer, or be importable, as is the case with any other graphic type programme. The update shouldn't have resulted in data loss!

First, for future reference please keep in mind that the betas & the retail versions are completely independent of each other so the retail apps are not actually updates to any of the beta versions, whether Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher, or whatever. That includes all the per user setting, assets, brushes, etc. -- each app has its own independent, unlinked set of all those things.

This is actually a good thing: because betas may include significant bugs & even file format changes, sharing any of these things between beta & retail versions could destabilize the retail ones or cause other undesirable side effects in them. As it is, betas (which are intended only for testing & non-critical work) can be run along side retail versions without any worries about that.

Anyway, with that said, you can try copying the per user assets file from the beta to the same location in the retail version, but please understand this is neither officially supported nor recommended by Serif, so it is strictly a "try at your own risk" thing.

To explain the details of how do that, we need to know if you are a Mac or Windows user because the file paths are different.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the reply. I'm on Windows. I might have already done the file replacement thing after following another forum thread but it doesn't seem to have worked. However, is a way that I could get into the Beta (which no longer lets me open since the retail verion came out) then I would be able to export the Asset groups as *.afassets files from there.

Same trouble here!
A warning that this would happen on transitioning to the bought version would REALLY have been appreciated....

I found the assets.propcol file location in the bought version. So now I need to know how to get back into the old beta version to collect the assets- HELP!
System is Windows 10

Oh ay, moaned too soon.
I see the beta version was still available in the Roaming-Affinity-Publisher location.
So having found it, do I now just copy it and paste it in place of the ditto in the new version location?

Edited by Marika
found additional info

• Staff

@Marika & @Deerum

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

To all readers,

There are instructions pinned here for moving everything, and selective parts will be easier to move as soon as there is a Customer beta that will use the same files as the Public beta did.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

There are instructions pinned here for moving everything ...

How can anyone use "The "Safer" Way!" if this pops up when trying to start up the Mac beta?

expired.jpg.daaaf530a90a0e6667c7baf75e5eea65.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

How can anyone use "The "Safer" Way!" if this pops up when trying to start up the Mac beta?

Just read the whole post.

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

and selective parts will be easier to move as soon as there is a Customer beta that will use the same files as the Public beta did.

You cannot until there's a customer beta

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Just read the whole post.

You cannot until there's a customer beta

Ah, OK. I thought the second part only applied to moving selected parts.

Affinity Photo