You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Publisher only as a combined Designer/Photo app

Hi everyone,

quickly right off the bat: Well done! I think Publisher looks like a great app for DTP and I assume it's only going to get better, like Designer and Photo did.

My question however is not about the new features of Publisher but about its Studio Link functionality, integrating the Desginer and Photo personas. I'm often in the situation where I'm working on a screen layout in Designer and I need to quickly retouch an image I just added, So I need to do the "Edit in Photo …" dance, adjust a part of my photo, then "Edit in Designer …". That this kind of workflow exists at all is already a huge help, but it'll open a new app and reload the document and maybe I lose my place or I need to hunt for something I had just selected. It's certainly not as seamless as Studio Link seems to be.

So now since Publisher has the Designer and Photo personas built in, I'm thinking: Could I do all my design work in Publisher, mainly staying in the Designer persona and only switching over to the Photo persona when needed? This would certainly streamline my workflow, as I only need the secondary personas of Designer and Photo rarely, mainly in the very beginning or the very end of my process. Are the personas integrated into Publisher in a fully featured way? Do I get all the things I'm used to from the Designer Persona in Affinity Designer and the Photo Persona from Affinity Photo? Are there any limitations when it comes to Artboards, global colors, symbols, constraints etc.?

Kind reagrds
-- Alina

I'm not sure about Designer, but certainly in the Photo Persona you don't get the full functionality of using Photo itself.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I understand that the Photo Persona in Publisher isn't a fully featured copy of Affinity Photo. I'm just asking about the Photo Persona. How far away is Publisher's Photo Persona from Affinity Photo's Photo Persona? (And respectively how far away is Publisher's Designer Persona from Affinity Designer's Designer Persona?)

4 minutes ago, lastfuture said:

How far away is Publisher's Photo Persona from Affinity Photo's Photo Persona? 

Not far at all.  It should have what you need to justify working in Publisher

I plan on starting my next website design project in Publisher, working mainly in its Photo & Designer personas but utilising such things as Master Pages, Spell Checker & Tables etc found only in Publisher. I'm looking forward to seeing how that workflow works for me.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, toutou123 said:

what do punctuation, spelling, and grammar have to do with Brexit negotiations?

Any excuse to not bother with correcting mistakes. For example I don't bother with making corrections on any day whose name ends with a 'y'.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, toutou123 said:

You don't get the liquify, Develop, tone mapping, and export personas from photo and designer.  That's the only drawback that I know of so far.

I believe HDR merge, panorama and the like are missing from the File menu.

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I believe HDR merge, panorama and the like are missing from the File menu.

Yes, and using plugins. But those may come soon.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1