You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color palettes are not the same when using StudioLink as in stand-alone Designer/Photo version - color synchronization

Hey guys - thank for inventing the StudionLink! It's so nice!

In this regards I have a suggestion:

• The color palettes should be the same when using the StudioLink as in the stand-alone apps.
  • Or better: An overall color synchronization for all three apps would be very usefull.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

You can sync up the palettes by creating them as "System" palettes instead of "Application" palettes, but you may need to quit and re-open the other applications before the newly added ones show up.

Thanks - but where do I have the option for creating System palettes? I have only Document and Application palettes...

PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

System Palettes are a Mac-only feature. If you're using Windows you won't have them.

For Windows users the solution would be to Export the palettes from Photo and Import them into Publisher. If you open the Swatches studio panel, its hamburger menu has the Export and Import options.

Alternatively, you could probably backup the fills.propcol file that Publisher currenty uses and copy over the copy from either Photo or Designer, but if you have customized palettes in both applications I think you'll need to use the Export/Import method. And Export/Import is probably safer for most users, and is certainly the only method supported by Serif if you have problems.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks @walt.farrell - yeah, I use Windows only. 

So there is no practical solution at the moment because if I alter any color palette in one application I have to do it manually in the other two... 

My suggestion is still: introducing suite-wide color synchronization (management). 

By the way: why is System Palette Mac-only? 

Because Windows OS doesn't have that feature.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

54 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Because Windows OS doesn't have that feature.

Which feature is that exactly? Is this an OS thing only? Can't you have a common folder for settings in Windows?

56 minutes ago, ChrisSmere said:

Which feature is that exactly? Is this an OS thing only? Can't you have a common folder for settings in Windows?

A "System Palette" as mentioned by fde101 and walt.farrell. I really don't know about Windows.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, ChrisSmere said:

My suggestion is still: introducing suite-wide color synchronization (management). 

Serif have said that they would like to do that, but there are issues given the mix-and-match possibilities of where the applications are purchased (direct from Serif for all 3, or a mix of direct from Serif for some and from Apple or Microsoft for others) which complicates the issue significantly.

Maybe they'll keep trying, as it becomes especially noticeable with Publisher and StudioLink. But note that they don't even have synchronization between Designer and Photo yet, which have been out for. a significant period of time. It would be beneficial to automatically share brushes and palettes there, too.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 hours ago, ChrisSmere said:

The Mac has much more thorough built-in color management and functionality than does the Windows OS.  This includes a system-wide standard color picker that accepts plugin modules and has its own palette interface similar to the "Swatches" used by the Affinity software.  The "system" palettes in the Affinity products (on the Mac) are leveraging the system-wide color palette functionality by allowing you to use and create palettes using the built-in functionality of the OS, meaning those palettes show up in many applications, not just the Affinity ones.  Evidently Windows hasn't quite caught up with that yet, didn't realize that had not been put in place.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old theme, but I have the exact same issue, only in v.2

When I purchased the 2.0 and read that my palettes brushes and assets are now shared via the Studio link, I thought this was in-between all three programs. For example - I create a palette in Designer, open Photo (etc.) and it's there. But now in Publisher, I have a palette created, and when I switch to Designer Persona via the studio link to edit a vector element that originates form Publisher, I don't see the palette - what am I missing? If that makes any difference, the palette in question was created in v.1 and then auto imported when I installed v 2.

In the long run, I'd totally organize and export/import all of my colors (and brushes/assets), but for now I'll just make a rectangle with the color I need, copy it and paste it in where I need to use it.

Also, do you know if there's an explanation what do all of the icons mean in front of the palettes? I have a link, a broken link (I think I deleted this one in the originator software), a page document (I get this one), and a rectangle with a cogwheel.

Please help 😂

EDIT: I just exported a palette from Publisher, opened Designer (software - not Persona), imported the palette and it has been renamed to "My Palette 2". The original name in Publisher is simply "My Palette". I don't see the original "My palette" in Designer. Is that a bug that I need to wait out, or is it a matter of setting that I'm not aware of?

What Setting/Preference do you have set in each Affinity application for "Link New Content Categories", @plam.mi?

https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Addons/linkingContent.html

-- Walt
PC:

That is precisely what I needed!

I actually didn't know that I needed to link my categories, I just assumed it would happen automatically. Anyways, I started linking my swatches and assets, as per the article you shared, and they are now accessible across the 3 different programs. Thank you ☺️