You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save flat image as jpg or tiff

Unless I'm missing this option somewhere I'd like to have the availability to save flat 1-layer-background image as something else then afphoto. I do a lot of cropping from scanned large sheets of photos and it would be nice to select, copy, new from clipboard and then save as widely recognised file formats for quick easy workflow.

I know there's the export but it's just too many unnecessary steps.

7 minutes ago, redlik said:

Unless I'm missing this option somewhere I'd like to have the availability to save flat 1-layer-background image as something else than afphoto.

You’re missing that option somewhere! The ‘Save’ and ‘Save As...’ commands are for saving in the native format (or for resaving in the original format if you haven’t added any layers). For anything else, you have to use the ‘Export’ command.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You’re missing that option somewhere! The ‘Save’ and ‘Save As...’ commands are for saving in the native format (or for resaving in the original format if you haven’t added any layers). For anything else, you have to use the ‘Export’ command.

That's a bummer. The app should know if the image is made in certain way it should allow to save in different formats, not only native af... 

12 minutes ago, redlik said:

That's a bummer. The app should know if the image is made in certain way it should allow to save in different formats, not only native af... 

If you start by opening a file which is in the desired format, you can resave it to the same format after extensive tweaking, the only proviso being that it needs to be flattened if it isn’t still flat. The ‘Export’ command will flatten it automagically, saving you that extra step.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

19 minutes ago, redlik said:

The shortcut to do the export you desire is ctrl + shift + alt + S. You can also change the shortcut in Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts if you want to make it simpler.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 10:41 AM, redlik said:

Unless I'm missing this option somewhere I'd like to have the availability to save flat 1-layer-background image as something else then afphoto. I do a lot of cropping from scanned large sheets of photos and it would be nice to select, copy, new from clipboard and then save as widely recognised file formats for quick easy workflow.

I know there's the export but it's just too many unnecessary steps.

It may be worth investigating some alternative workflow options available. If I understand correctly, you should be able to select then paste (as a separate layer rather than a new document), then label the layer with your intended filename. Once you have separated all the images to layers you can switch to the export persona, select all your layers and create slices (one button click), then hit the export all button (deselect the first slice to avoid exporting the orginal back out), choose a folder and you should get all the slices as individual files in the format you choose in the export settings.

Alternatively, you could just save them all as afphoto files for speed then do a batch file conversion on them using the batch tool, selecting a new format.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, redlik said:

I do a lot of cropping from scanned large sheets of photos and it would be nice to select, copy, new from clipboard and then save as widely recognised file formats for quick easy workflow.

Well, quick and easy is to crop your TIF and hit save. SAVE supports TIF saving when you have not done anything to image that TIF does not support.

If you use SAVE AS because you want to keep the old version in case, you can duplicate the whole bunch of original scans to a subfolder (or anywhere) and keep that as backup.