You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke on a stroke with a layer outline makes the layer outline expand to maximum size

Sometimes I am getting an increase too.

Stroke of 4 Points, with outline of 20 pixels

outline increased to 20.3 pixels

Stroke of 4 points with outline of 2 pixels

outline increased to 4.3 pixels.

Other combinations show no change at all in the outline.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi Aikinai,

I've just tried this myself and cannot reproduce it. Could you attach a document that exhibits this problem (prior to the expand so we can test it) or record a video showing you creating and expanding the stroke causing it to grow.

There seems to be a consistent factor for the expanded outline based on the width of the original stroke and the px size of the outline added (as follows)...

2042936547_OutlineExpansion.thumb.jpg.8b5ec19378087bb8f1179d65c509be0d.jpg

The fx outline slider is topping out at 1,024px but the outline expansion follows the pattern above so any figures shown in the table with a blue background will be shown as 1,024px on the fx outline slider.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi Sean,

Repeat but use the Pen Tool rather than the Pencil Tool to create your line. If you give the outline a different colour it highlights the problem.

Note: This 'only' happens when creating a straight line using two points with the Pen Tool. If you use more than two points or create a curve with the pen tool then it doesn't happen.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

• Staff
45 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Note: This 'only' happens when creating a straight line using two points with the Pen Tool. If you use more than two points or create a curve with the pen tool then it doesn't happen.

That's the vital piece of information! Also it only seems to be this bad if both nodes share the same X or Y co-ordinate (so it is completely flat). I'll get it passed on.

Thanks,

Exactly, sorry I only realised that just now as all my tests yesterday simply used a straight line created using the Pen Tool, I hadn't tested any other combinations until I saw your video but glad we got there in the end... :)

• Staff
21 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Exactly, sorry I only realised that just now as all my tests yesterday simply used a straight line created using the Pen Tool, I hadn't tested any other combinations until I saw your video but glad we got there in the end... :)

Not a problem - thanks for sticking with it! 

Sorry, I’m traveling right now and haven’t been able to post. It’s happening to me on lines that aren’t perfectly straight.

I’ll try to sanitize and share my file in a few days.

Thanks for the thorough support!