You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Computer for the Affinity Suite.

I'm using all Affinity apps although Designer perhaps 80% of the time doing UX/UI. My current 2016 MBP 15" is connected to an LG Ultrafine 5K monitor which means performance sometimes is a bit sluggish. I'm considering updating my setup and have looked into buying an eGPU, but I dont know if that would be the best solution? Would it be better to go for the 8-core i9 and perhaps more ram (currently having 16gb)? Or is it perhaps only my 5K monitor giving me issues as the UI design shouldn't be so taxing on the resources?

I am pretty sure that the current GPU is Your bottleneck. 5k are a lot of pixels that need to be pushed. An eGPU with a modern GPU with, say, 8GB should help.

Just the other day I was testing a 4k detachable tablet/mobile workstation from HP. The native resolution was jus too heavy even for the Nvidia Quadro inside. Once I reduced the resolution to FHD (which, btw., looks just as fine on the puny 14in panel) panning and navigating suddenly became fluid.

You could give lower res a try, maybe You won't even notice. Of course, that somehow defies the purpose of having spent money for the insanely highres LG ;) 

11 minutes ago, Rocketdrive said:

I am pretty sure that the current GPU is Your bottleneck. 5k are a lot of pixels that need to be pushed. An eGPU with a modern GPU with, say, 8GB should help.

Just the other day I was testing a 4k detachable tablet/mobile workstation from HP. The native resolution was jus too heavy even for the Nvidia Quadro inside. Once I reduced the resolution to FHD (which, btw., looks just as fine on the puny 14in panel) panning and navigating suddenly became fluid.

You could give lower res a try, maybe You won't even notice. Of course, that somehow defies the purpose of having spent money for the insanely highres LG ;) 

True. Considering the "cheapest" Blackmagic so theres a dedicated device to handle the 5K display. Not a cheap solution but then again I properly dont need more advanced stuff for my usage. 

On 6/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, Rocketdrive said:

I successfully used the Razor Core X with a RX580 connected to my MPB 2016. This is a slightly cheaper solution than the BMD eGPU, but upgradeable. There were no issues at all with this setup under macOS Mojave.

Yeah I also considered this, but the Ultrafine 5K needs a eGPU with 2 T ports unfortunately :(

2016 MBP 15" is still fairly modern so I would like other MBP users have their say if 5K monitor is to much for that MBP GPU, or if there is some compatibility problem with MBP and LG. Basically your set up is fine for Affinity softwares, and only issue is 5K performance ( I suppose same issues follow in other softwares too?)

19 minutes ago, Fixx said:

2016 MBP 15" is still fairly modern so I would like other MBP users have their say if 5K monitor is to much for that MBP GPU, or if there is some compatibility problem with MBP and LG. Basically your set up is fine for Affinity softwares, and only issue is 5K performance ( I suppose same issues follow in other softwares too?)

I rarely do other things than working in Affinity's apps, but Photoshop is also quite slow. A good idea to hear about that issues from other users. I remember I first got the 13" 2016 MBP, but it couldn't work at all with the 5K screen, so I was allowed to return the unit for an upgrade. Perhaps just a cheap egpu will be enough so theres a dedicated unit to drive the screen.