You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document export naming

Hi team,

Just a little bug I’ve noticed a few times over a while, and doesn’t stop the workflow thankfully. When working on a document that has been named already, and then export it from the document menu, I find the file name field with the name untitled, along with the extension. Reopening the document from the Welcome screen and exporting, shows the file name as it should be in the Export settings i.e. taking the name of the document and adding the extension of the export format.

Hope this helps.

Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo (iPadOS 14 beta, iPad Pro 12.9” - 3rd Gen)

• Staff

Hi SageBlue,

Would you be able to record a video showing you reproducing this issue please? I've just tried it myself and after renaming a document on the Welcome screen and then doing Save as Copy (or even Save) will keep the name you've given it.

@Sean P Hi Sean, try the hamburger Save menu on the Home screen. Not working from there. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
5 hours ago, DM1 said:

@Sean P Hi Sean, try the hamburger Save menu on the Home screen. Not working from there. :)

That was one of the ones I tried, but saved with the correct name. Could you show me a recording of what you're doing please? However be aware that if you rename a file that has already been given a name, then this is by design that the filename doesn't change (due to file/documentation management).

@Sean P Sean I was testing saving a file from Home screen with its default unnamed label, then trying to rename the file. So I guess that explains why it won't change.  Workflows clearly need to ensure a file is named when saving if it cannot be renamed. 

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

be aware that if you rename a file that has already been given a name, then this is by design that the filename doesn't change

I'm still a little confused though. If I Open from cloud, select a document and edit it, then back arrow to the Home screen, where   I then rename the document (the name changes in Home screen) and this newly renamed document icon  is still. Linked to the cloud file.I can now save from Home screen but I'm not actually saving the renamed document, I’m  updating the originally named document in cloud.

So now I have a file on cloud with one name and the same file sandboxed but with another name? Confusing? That doesn’t strike me as.being good file/document management ? O.o

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 6/24/2019 at 11:46 PM, Sean P said:

Hi SageBlue,

Would you be able to record a video showing you reproducing this issue please? I've just tried it myself and after renaming a document on the Welcome screen and then doing Save as Copy (or even Save) will keep the name you've given it.

Hi Sean,

I’ll keep an eye out for it. I’ve done the save a copy as well, which always works. While I was referring to the file name while exporting, the name change to untitled shouldn’t happen after the document has been closed from the Welcome screen and reopened right? The name from then on should only stick to the file’s name at the time in Files app.

Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo (iPadOS 14 beta, iPad Pro 12.9” - 3rd Gen)

• Staff
22 hours ago, DM1 said:

I'm still a little confused though. If I Open from cloud, select a document and edit it, then back arrow to the Home screen, where   I then rename the document (the name changes in Home screen) and this newly renamed document icon  is still. Linked to the cloud file.I can now save from Home screen but I'm not actually saving the renamed document, I’m  updating the originally named document in cloud.

So now I have a file on cloud with one name and the same file sandboxed but with another name? Confusing? That doesn’t strike me as.being good file/document management ? O.o

I presume you selected 'Open from Cloud' and not 'Import from Cloud'? Open from cloud will open it in place so any changes saved are made to that file, where as import it as a copy and save as a new file.

Hi Sean, yep Open from Cloud. When you then rename the document icon on the Home screen, the name there changes. Any edits made in the Workscreen and then saved in Workscreen or the Home screen continue to update the original file (expected behaviour as it was an  'Open from Cloud' Document). The issue I have is that the open file is no longer accurately represented in the Home screen, where the document icon name has indeed changed. Same file, two different names. Not exactly great file/document management. O.o