You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scan docs and pictures directly into publisher

It would be helpful to be able to use publisher as a replacement for acrobat pro. I would like to scan docs and pictures directly into files using Publisher. This will help with the final disentanglement with ADOBE regarding creating PDFs.

Hi, @Simon C, welcome to the forums!

It looks like you might be able do this if you also have Photo, by switching to the Photo persona within Publisher and selecting "Acquire Image" from the File menu.  I don't have a camera or scanner set up at the moment so haven't tested it myself, but the option is there in the menu.

13 hours ago, fde101 said:

It looks like you might be able do this if you also have Photo, by switching to the Photo persona within Publisher and selecting "Acquire Image" from the File menu.  I don't have a camera or scanner set up at the moment so haven't tested it myself, but the option is there in the menu.

I believe it is a Mac only option.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi guys. thanks for the comments. I have windows version and definitely cannot find an 'acquire image' option in the menu system. It worth a thought though. Perhaps Serif will add this tot eh windows version in an update.

This request for an Acquire function in Affinity Windows software has been brought up numerous times in the past couple of years. Try searching the forums for 

scan Windows 10

and you'll get only 81 hits instead of the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of hits I got with other search terms. I find the forum search engine rather finicky. In fact it's probably easier and more effective to search Bing or Google rather than the Affinity forums. Just include the word Affinity in your list of search terms.

The responses I've seen fall into three categories:

1.) Serif and some users say Windows does not provide suitable scanner drivers to interface with Affinity products

2.) Some offer suggestions for other software you could use for scanning. They say if you set Affinity applications as the default for opening the filetype output by your scanner then the completed scan will open automatically in Affinity.

3.) Some say no one should be scanning things in these days when images are born digital in cameras and other devices.

A few sample threads:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/56378-scanning-within-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/81745-how-can-i-get-a-scanned-photo-into-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/77021-scanner-support/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/66196-affinity-designer-scanning/

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Thanks. Interesting comments. It's really an alternative to Acrobat pro for office purposes (archiving docs, etc) that I'm looking for. I just thought that the new Publisher might have planned to accommodate this as a marketing extra. Just looking forward to getting rid of all the Adobe products from my system.

23 hours ago, Simon C said:

It's really an alternative to Acrobat pro for office purposes (archiving docs, etc) that I'm looking for.

You definitely need something else than Publisher.. I believe there are "scan-to-PDF-and-archive" solutions available.

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, fde101 said:

There is no such thing in PC version

On 6/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, Granddaddy said:

This request for an Acquire function in Affinity Windows software has been brought up numerous times in the past couple of years. Try searching the forums for 

scan Windows 10

and you'll get only 81 hits instead of the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of hits I got with other search terms. I find the forum search engine rather finicky. In fact it's probably easier and more effective to search Bing or Google rather than the Affinity forums. Just include the word Affinity in your list of search terms.

The responses I've seen fall into three categories:

1.) Serif and some users say Windows does not provide suitable scanner drivers to interface with Affinity products

2.) Some offer suggestions for other software you could use for scanning. They say if you set Affinity applications as the default for opening the filetype output by your scanner then the completed scan will open automatically in Affinity.

3.) Some say no one should be scanning things in these days when images are born digital in cameras and other devices.

A few sample threads:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/56378-scanning-within-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/81745-how-can-i-get-a-scanned-photo-into-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/77021-scanner-support/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/66196-affinity-designer-scanning/

--- and yet Adobe does it just fine in Windows with same drivers??? for several decades??? try again- I call Bull crap - lol

Serif could access WIA in Windows. Which is what Adobe applications do now that they are 64-bit. WIA is pretty much sub-standard scanning. 

There are excellent scan applications available for Windows. I suggest using the software that comes with the scanner or one of those applications. 

I disagree. Theres nothing more infuriating than have to open another app to perform functions and import import import all the time. Workflow sucks that way.

And being realistic.. . WIA isnt the best, not really a concern. Because end result is it opens a simple window, it scans, and I have my image. It works. It just works. What's better isnt the standard, it's the fact that something just works and workflow isnt interrupted or relying on 3rd party.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 1:44 PM, Santos Brown said:

You definitely need something other than Publisher .. I believe there are "scan-to-PDF-and-archive" solutions available.

I just found a "scan-to-PDF-and-archive" solution that is using an application called CamScanner

On 2/11/2021 at 12:32 PM, keithsloan said:

Trying this on my Mac, go to Photo Persona and Aquire Image, select scanner, but then does nothing. Scanner is an HP2600 Printer/Scanner

HP 5500 series works here on Mac OS 10.14.6

Didn't use to. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, Granddaddy said:

In fact it's probably easier and more effective to search Bing or Google rather than the Affinity forums. Just include the word Affinity in your list of search terms.

If you want to search the Affinity forums from Google, add this before or after your search keywords:

site:forum.affinity.serif.com

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

If you want to search the Affinity forums from Google, add this before or after your search keywords:

Works with DuckDuckGo as well.

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Works with DuckDuckGo as well.

Also other search engines such as Bing, Ecosia, Startpage, and Yandex.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...