Jump to content
Simon C

Scan docs and pictures directly into publisher

Recommended Posts

It would be helpful to be able to use publisher as a replacement for acrobat pro. I would like to scan docs and pictures directly into files using Publisher. This will help with the final disentanglement with ADOBE regarding creating PDFs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, @Simon C, welcome to the forums!

It looks like you might be able do this if you also have Photo, by switching to the Photo persona within Publisher and selecting "Acquire Image" from the File menu.  I don't have a camera or scanner set up at the moment so haven't tested it myself, but the option is there in the menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fde101 said:

Hi, @Simon C, welcome to the forums!

It looks like you might be able do this if you also have Photo, by switching to the Photo persona within Publisher and selecting "Acquire Image" from the File menu.  I don't have a camera or scanner set up at the moment so haven't tested it myself, but the option is there in the menu.

I believe it is a Mac only option.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.8.3 | Affinity Photo 1.8.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.4.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.4.183 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.4.663

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. thanks for the comments. I have windows version and definitely cannot find an 'acquire image' option in the menu system. It worth a thought though. Perhaps Serif will add this tot eh windows version in an update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This request for an Acquire function in Affinity Windows software has been brought up numerous times in the past couple of years. Try searching the forums for 

scan Windows 10

and you'll get only 81 hits instead of the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of hits I got with other search terms. I find the forum search engine rather finicky. In fact it's probably easier and more effective to search Bing or Google rather than the Affinity forums. Just include the word Affinity in your list of search terms.

The responses I've seen fall into three categories:

1.) Serif and some users say Windows does not provide suitable scanner drivers to interface with Affinity products

2.) Some offer suggestions for other software you could use for scanning. They say if you set Affinity applications as the default for opening the filetype output by your scanner then the completed scan will open automatically in Affinity.

3.) Some say no one should be scanning things in these days when images are born digital in cameras and other devices.

A few sample threads:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/56378-scanning-within-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/81745-how-can-i-get-a-scanned-photo-into-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/77021-scanner-support/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/66196-affinity-designer-scanning/

 


Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641, Windows 10 Pro x64 version 2004, 
Dell XPS 8930, 16 GB Ram,  Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Interesting comments. It's really an alternative to Acrobat pro for office purposes (archiving docs, etc) that I'm looking for. I just thought that the new Publisher might have planned to accommodate this as a marketing extra. Just looking forward to getting rid of all the Adobe products from my system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Simon C said:

It's really an alternative to Acrobat pro for office purposes (archiving docs, etc) that I'm looking for.

You definitely need something else than Publisher.. I believe there are "scan-to-PDF-and-archive" solutions available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, fde101 said:

Hi, @Simon C, welcome to the forums!

It looks like you might be able do this if you also have Photo, by switching to the Photo persona within Publisher and selecting "Acquire Image" from the File menu.  I don't have a camera or scanner set up at the moment so haven't tested it myself, but the option is there in the menu.

There is no such thing in PC version

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, Granddaddy said:

This request for an Acquire function in Affinity Windows software has been brought up numerous times in the past couple of years. Try searching the forums for 

scan Windows 10

and you'll get only 81 hits instead of the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of hits I got with other search terms. I find the forum search engine rather finicky. In fact it's probably easier and more effective to search Bing or Google rather than the Affinity forums. Just include the word Affinity in your list of search terms.

The responses I've seen fall into three categories:

1.) Serif and some users say Windows does not provide suitable scanner drivers to interface with Affinity products

2.) Some offer suggestions for other software you could use for scanning. They say if you set Affinity applications as the default for opening the filetype output by your scanner then the completed scan will open automatically in Affinity.

3.) Some say no one should be scanning things in these days when images are born digital in cameras and other devices.

A few sample threads:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/56378-scanning-within-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/81745-how-can-i-get-a-scanned-photo-into-affinity-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/77021-scanner-support/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/66196-affinity-designer-scanning/

 

--- and yet Adobe does it just fine in Windows with same drivers??? for several decades??? try again- I call Bull crap - lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serif could access WIA in Windows. Which is what Adobe applications do now that they are 64-bit. WIA is pretty much sub-standard scanning. 

There are excellent scan applications available for Windows. I suggest using the software that comes with the scanner or one of those applications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree. Theres nothing more infuriating than have to open another app to perform functions and import import import all the time. Workflow sucks that way.

And being realistic.. . WIA isnt the best, not really a concern. Because end result is it opens a simple window, it scans, and I have my image. It works. It just works. What's better isnt the standard, it's the fact that something just works and workflow isnt interrupted or relying on 3rd party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.