You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Geometry>Add why can't I make A look like B?

Adding shapes.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi jackamus,

seems we’re the only ones here this Sunday morning ;)  … When you add a subset X of a set Y to Y, you will get Y. So you have to add the green ones first and then subtract the red one from the result of the addition of the green ones …

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-77599400-1432454008_thumb.png

Hi Alex,

So there could be a problem!

I discovered earlier that shapes have to overlap first.

Why did it work with this file OK which was shown in one of my previous questions regarding Expanding stroke?

drawing double lines.afdesign

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Well, these are different cases … imagine the areas to be point-sets …

• In Case 1 you want to add all the points of areas (sets) A, B, and C together to form a single area (set) D.
  • In Case 2 all the points of the red shape (set) are already included in the green one (E). Now imagine you add all the points of the red area (set) to E … then you will get area (set) E again. So you have to subtract these points from E instead.

Does that make sense?  :)

post-1198-0-34115300-1432456923_thumb.png

Nope! But I believe you. :D

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

:D

No, jackamus, it’s easy … think of the areas as consisting of infinitely many points. I have marked some of them in my diagrams.

• Consider the first case. When you add area A to area B, the result will contain all points that lie in A or in B. And the ‘or’ is non-exclusive (‘and/or’). Therefore the result of adding A to B will also contain the points which lie in A and in B. So the result will also include the dark blue point.
  • Consider the second case. When you add area F to area E, the result will contain all points that lie in E or in F. And the ‘or’ is non-exclusive again. Therefore the result of adding E to F will also include the red points, which lie in E and in F. But you don’t want that. You want the red points not to belong to the result of your operation. So you have to cut them off area E. And this is done by subtracting F from E.

I hope this explanation is better … sorry, if I sound over-explanatory …   :)

post-1198-0-26168400-1432458503_thumb.png

post-1198-0-56554000-1432458507_thumb.png

Hi Alex,

I do follow that. I suppose that I wasn't thinking clearly and didn't give enough thought to what I wanted to add and what I wanted to subtract. Looking at again it was pretty obvious.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0