You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone know how to cutout objects to make an item with a transparent background?

It takes a few seconds in Photoshop with a multitude of options but for some reason, attached Affinity photo file doesn't seem to be able to select and remove the whitespace for files pasted from the clipboard? It just always ends up with a white background no matter if I erase or not. I can't get a transparent checkered background.

I've tried rasterizing the file, I've tried using "select sampled colour", I've tried merging all the layers but can't get a clean cutout? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

cutout.afphoto

You can do it in seconds with the flood select tool. This took me less than 4 seconds (yes, I timed it :D) you might have the odd artefact pixel near the handle to erase but I don't think 4 seconds is too shoddy.
Screen-Shot-2019-06-21-at-08-41-43.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Ah thanks @firstdefence - however I wasn't getting the checkered background! So when I deleted the surroundings, I was left with a white background. Such a simple mistake!

Edit: argh, sorry. This is hard to figure out the minute differences.

When pasting a clipboard image into a new document, it seems the flood select tool doesn't work. Selection brush works perfectly but clicking on white space with the selection brush doesn't do anything (new is selected for the mode).

@km.au As dutchshader has mentioned make sure you have transparent background checked go to the menu: Document > Transparent background and it click on it if it doesn't have a tick at the side of it, this will then show the checkerboard indicating something is transparent.

This is how your afphoto file will look when first opened with Transparent background ticked. Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-08-19-43.png

Make sure you have the layer selected and pick the flood select tool, If you select the white area now and delete it, the checkerboard will show. 

Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-08-24-36.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hmm, this is perhaps a bug.

I can definitely confirm that flood select does not work. I'm on Windows 10 here too.

If a dev can PM me, I've recorded a step by step video. However if I link to the video, real name will appear so prefer to PM.

As for the issue, the select operation appears in history but there are no marching ants (it's enabled to view), the correct layer is selected however it simply does not work.

Selection brush works though!

8 hours ago, km.au said:

As for the issue, the select operation appears in history but there are no marching ants (it's enabled to view), the correct layer is selected however it simply does not work.

Selection brush works though!

You need to make sure that you have a pixel layer selected, just check that your layer is not an image layer. to convert it to a pixel layer, right click and select rasterise. The flood select will now work.

The selection brush will select from an image layer, but you can not delete your selection from the image, you can add a new adjustment layer while the selection is still active and the selection will put a mask into that layer. You can save this selection as a spare channel that can be loaded into any adjustment layer's alpha to keep any adjustments to that part of the image. The selection does not have to be active if you have saved it as a spare channel.

To delete any parts of an image the layer must be a pixel layer.

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 13.31.53.png