You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Accents on words - Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc

I'm Brazilian, and many words have accents. Every time I type one of these letters as á, à ã, ç, é, ó, í, or similar, I got one symbol before the actual letter. I think people that write other languages, specially latin languages with tons of accents have experienced the same problem. It is not a big deal, but it's kind of annoying when you are typing a huge text and have to go back to correct every time you use an accent on a letter.

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 10.13.58 PM.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, ABP said:

Should be easy. Not everybody knows (it took me years to find out) if you hold down say the letter e, all the accented options come up. Click on the one you want and you get that.

22 hours ago, Pauls said:

Think you need to enable the US international input method to support that method of entry.

@Pauls, not necessarily: the method of holding a key to make the variants pop-up works for instance in a German keyboard on MacBook, too.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/90286-composite-character-entry-incorrect/&do=findComment&comment=478031

(though this method is definitely no satisfying workaround in languages which needs accents a lot.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 6/21/2019 at 4:15 AM, arlene.con said:

I'm Brazilian, and many words have accents. Every time I type one of these letters as á, à ã, ç, é, ó, í, or similar, I got one symbol before the actual letter. I think people that write other languages, specially latin languages with tons of accents have experienced the same problem. It is not a big deal, but it's kind of annoying when you are typing a huge text and have to go back to correct every time you use an accent on a letter. 

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 10.13.58 PM.png

The language I use the most uses 28 accented characters (Latin Extended-A unicode) and all works for me well on both Mac and Windows (no such characters being added before nor after such letter when typing with its own keyboard layout all the accented characters do have their own keys though, I'm not using the extended character input method on Mac, would be slowing me down).

Maybe it's an issue with the actual fonts? Or maybe some Spell Checking / Replace Characters feature issue?

Try turning Spell Checking and Text Replacing off and change the fonts to some default, system ones, just to check out if the issue still occurs.

1) Keyboard/language settings - since I use a Mac keyboard and type in both languages (English & Portuguese), I did install the Brazilian layout but it didn't work, the issue persists.

2) Support Language dependent single typographic quotes in preferences/auto-correct - unchecked (nothing changed)

3) Holding the keys to show alternatives - good ideia. But in a text oriented software (which people can use for large amounts of text) that technique slows me down.

4) US International  - I have US international PC, which works on every app I have installed in my Mac. Even in other Affinity apps with no problem at all.

5) It wasn't an issue with the fonts, since I've tried different fonts (some of them don't accept accents) in different documents.

Edited by arlene.con