You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

studiolink doesn't recognize photo

Just purchased/installed Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher.  I already owned Affinity Photo, purchased in 2017.  After all installs and updates studiolink not recognizing that I own Photo, purchased from Affinity Store.  Designer is linked up to Publisher.  From Publisher when I select the Photo persona I see a popup telling me to buy Photo.  Uninstalling and reinstalled Affinity Photo did not fix this.  How do I get help with this?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

1st be sure publisher is closed. 2. Check for updates and ensure you have 1.7.1 of photo. 3. Load photo and make sure it opens. 4 Close Photo and open publisher. Done.

I really appreciate your taking the time Bryce. 

Affinity Photo installed as version 1.7.1.404.  I reran the update and performed a 'repair'.  After closing Photo I opened Publisher as you suggested.  The Photo persona still does not recognize Affinity Photo.  I have uninstalled Photo and reinstalled Photo (version 1.7.1.404), closed Photo, started Publisher.  Publisher is NOT recognizing that I have Photo. 

I supposed I should have mentioned my machine OS is Win 7 SP1 Home Premium.

I'll wait a bit for more replies, if nothing else is suggested I suppose I'll have to uninstall EVERYTHING and reinstall.  I hope someone has a better idea.  Thanks!

Thank you all for the feedback.  Patrick, your workaround worked for me in Win 7.  I had to follow a slightly different path to find the Photo Release.appinfo configuration file and delete it.  In windows the path is:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Common\appinfo\Release\Photo Release.appinfo

I had to have admin authority to delete the file.  This fixed the problem with Publisher-Photo interoperability.

JJ

• 9 months later...

Running on a Mac. Just bought Affinity designer. No connection to studio link. No brushes on the new software. Bought some from Affinity website. No recognition that I own Affinity designer on my desktop. Can't use brushes and can't register the software. Any ideas?

5 minutes ago, TommyOC said:

Running on a Mac. Just bought Affinity designer. No connection to studio link. No brushes on the new software. Bought some from Affinity website. No recognition that I own Affinity designer on my desktop. Can't use brushes and can't register the software. Any ideas?

Where did you buy Designer? If you bought it from Serif, what happens when you start it and try to enter the product code? (If you bought it from Apple, you would not registr it; it's simply tied to your Apple account.)

Are you aware that StudioLink is a Publisher feature? Do you also have Publisher? Have you run Designer before trying to use StudioLink in Publisher to acess it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Where did you buy Designer? If you bought it from Serif, what happens when you start it and try to enter the product code? (If you bought it from Apple, you would not registr it; it's simply tied to your Apple account.)

Are you aware that StudioLink is a Publisher feature? Do you also have Publisher? Have you run Designer before trying to use StudioLink in Publisher to acess it?

Hi Walt,

Thank you for responding. I bought from Designer. I enter the code and it lets me work. When I went to close out I wasn't able to open Designer again. Then I figured out I have to save to my desktop instead of the directions of putting into the App Store program file. No problem. 

So now I have Affinity Publisher on desktop and easy access. The next hurdle is getting brushes. Going through some training and everyone has brushes. I bought Christies Comic Book toolbox for brushes and it's not recognizing the software on my computer. I thought the Publisher feature through StudioLink would be able to help. 

It was one of the tests given to me by Christies Comic Book toolbox to troubleshoot. Can't figure out why no brushes on my software unless they did away with the brushes so I buy them. 

What do you think?

28 minutes ago, TommyOC said:

Thank you for responding. I bought from Designer. I enter the code and it lets me work. When I went to close out I wasn't able to open Designer again. Then I figured out I have to save to my desktop instead of the directions of putting into the App Store program file. No problem. 

Sorry, but I don't understand that.

28 minutes ago, TommyOC said:

So now I have Affinity Publisher on desktop and easy access. The next hurdle is getting brushes. Going through some training and everyone has brushes. I bought Christies Comic Book toolbox for brushes and it's not recognizing the software on my computer. I thought the Publisher feature through StudioLink would be able to help. 

I'm not very familiar with Christi's Comix Toolbox but it has raster brushes.

They work only on Affinity Photo or on the Pixel Persona in Affinity Designer. They won't work in Publisher except in the Photo Persona, which requires Affinity Photo, not Designer.

If you start Designer, though, and Import them there you'll find them on the Pixel Persona.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I think Designer changed the format. Got rid of Pixel persona and is no longer available. Not seeing the icon to make the change. Have gone through 3 videos of the change icon and it's not on the download that has been reinstalled about 5 times.   

Yes - not too many people familiar with Christis. I wouldn't have bought the extra tool box if I could find the brush on software. Kind of lost with what to try next. 

1 minute ago, TommyOC said:

I think Designer changed the format. Got rid of Pixel persona and is no longer available.

No, the Pixel Persona is available. It's the middle one on Designer's Toolbar:
image.png.5ee12e58cd21e68f956442bd53f20707.png

Perhaps you don't have the Toolbar showing? Try the menu: View > Show Toolbar.

-- Walt
PC:

30 minutes ago, TommyOC said:

I have a different set up

different set up.jpeg

You are in Publisher and in the Publisher Persona. The Publisher Persona does not have brushes.

If StudioLink works for you, and you have Photo, then you could import your Comix raster brushes in the Photo Persona.

Or if StudioLink works for you, then as you have Designer you could choose the Designer Persona. But that is only the Designer Persona, and it only supports vector brushes, so the Comix brushes won't work there. You need Designer's Pixel Persona, which is only available in the Designer application, not in Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:

I see it now. I must have clicked on the publisher from website or they sent me publisher instead of Designer. Thank you for clearing this up. It only took 8 hours of my time. Seriously I could have spent another day on this for sure.  🙂 

Edited by TommyOC

You're welcome :)

If you intended to get Designer, but you mistakenly purchased Publisher, and you purchased from Serif (not Microsoft or Apple) you can return it within 14 days of purchase and get your money back, and buy the other program. If you did purchase from Serif directly you can login to your account at the Serif Store and confirm what you have purchased: https://affinity.store/account/downloads

To initiate a return (again, if you purchased from Serif) you would email affinityreturns@serif.com as indicated on their web page:  https://affinity.store/help/#returns

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome, Tommy. All the Best to you, too :)

-- Walt
PC: