You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I fade an image to transparent using a gradient?

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the same problem. If I crop a picture the transparency tool no longer works on that image. 

If I do anything in the Photo Persona to the image that when they come back are labled "pixel" in layers, I can no longer use the transparency tool in Publisher or Designer persona. 

I can still use the layer transparency but that's it.

Pictures inside frames also do not allow the transparency tool to work as intended. 

You can see the line with the dots showing what it's supposed to do, but it doesn't work. I think this might be a bug.

I could show a video if need be.

When the Transparency tool is used on a Table or a Text Frame there is an additional field "Context" which can be set to either Frame or Text.

I wonder if such a field is missing for Picture Frames, to choose between Frame and Image?

As it stands the Transparency tool only affects the fill / stroke of the Picture Frame itself.

--

Possible workarounds: Select the image within the frame and add transparency directly to that, or Group the Picture Frame with itself, and then add transparency.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

4 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

…everything works as usual with the transparent tool…

But, if you wants to make the picture work with transparent tool in a dedicated picture frame, you have to open up the group and select the picture first...

But this is my point.

This behaviour is not normal as it is inconsistent with how the Transparency tool works on other container objects such as Tables and Text Frames, which both have a Context option to target the transparency.

The workaround is not really satisfactory: I apply the linear transparency directly to the image, and later have to re-scale, move or replace the image, and I now have to recreate the fade.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with Affinity designer and Affinity publisher. I do not have affinity photo.  

I have tried to make an object that I imported semi transparent but I am not able to. During the beta I was able to do that. But not it does not work. 

I am having the same problem with Affinity designer and Affinity publisher. I do not have affinity photo.  

I have tried to make an object that I imported semi transparent but I am not able to. During the beta I was able to do that. But not it does not work. 

Yes but there was an option where you can make the whole object transparent evenly. For example when you want it to be like a watermark. 

2 minutes ago, Warman said:

there was an option where you can make the whole object transparent evenly

There’s an Opacity control in the Layers panel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Why don't we see the original poster anymore.... I'm wary of those "come and go" posters with one or two posts about something that Wadobe can do but not Affinity.... they could be from the dark side.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 2 years later...
On 7/11/2019 at 12:28 AM, PixelPest said:

Like so?

Fade.gif.558ab8327a4360f701920d1472d20296.gif

Exactly what I am looking for. BUT: Where is the toolbar you have? I dont have it, or I don@t find it. Affinity photo. Also, is this a image or a pixel layer? I need it for pixel layer