Andreas Larsen

[Fixed] Slices doubles in size - having to reposition ~100 slides again...

This happens randomly without resizing anything - nothing more fun that having to resize your slices all over again...

I thought it was a beta only problem (posted about it there but never got a reply) but now it just happened in the normal version too.

post-2866-0-30297100-1432405110_thumb.png

Not sure if it's related to different versions - but I just had to do some color overlay which is broken in the stable version so I had to switch to beta. Only thing I changed was the layer effect and then come back in the "stable" version to f#cking this again. If there just were a option to resize all the slices at once then this bug wouldn't be as horrible...

This together with completely broken expand stroke function and seriously crippled export capabilities makes designer feel like a toy software...love drawing in it but can't trust it with serious work.

post-2866-0-43456500-1432493967_thumb.png

Hi Andreas,

I'm sorry about the trouble this is giving you.

There was some bug reports related with slices due to the removal of the retina option from document setup some time ago but seems there's some more serious issues going on. I will follow this and fill a bug report as soon as i'm able to replicate it.

Beta .25410 and app store v1.2 - I have never used retina option for any documents so I don't think it's related to that.

I'm not sure what triggers it but try creating a document with some slices in the app store version, save, close, open beta, edit something, save, close, open app store, go to export .

Hello,

I have seen this exact problem when I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.2.1. I had originally created the document on a 1X display but then opened it on a 2X (retina) display and saw this bug. It does not occur if you create and open the file on the same version of AFD. I think there is some version related logic which is causing the sizes to jump. Still a bug in my opinion. Luckily I only had 8 slices to rearrange, so all was not lost.

Pavan (@pavanpodila)

Switching documents between the Beta and the MAS version isn't recommended. Since the beta is always a step further with new features and improvements there's always the possibility of conflicts when exchanging files between them. Better stick with just one of them.

Still there may be something else going wrong...

I have observed the same issue, but have been unable to reproduce it reliably, so far.

It happens without doing anything.

Just open the file, switch to export persona and check the slices.

Quitting AD makes the issue appear more often.

After I opened a document with double sized slices, I can usually just close it and reopen (without restarting AD) and the slices are displayed correctly.

BTW. working on a non-retina Mac.

@MEB definitely still something going on because it doesn't only happen on switch. 

I just did this: Open beta -> export (looks fine) -> close beta -> open beta -> export 2x sized... 

Please make this a top priority since it breaks our documents and is really annoying. I know it's probably more fun to work at new features but please fix existing ones first.

Could anyone send me a file where they're seeing this happen? I will definitely fix anything as soon as I can reproduce it - but as of yet, I cannot get it to go wrong and can find nothing in the code that would cause instability? Anything you send to support@seriflabs.com will be used to fix this and deleted afterwards. Thanks! :)

Matt

Hi everybody,

this is a very strange issue. I was able to replicate the behavior several times … but the issue does not show up as constantly as I wanted, even when I tried to reproduce it more systematically. Nevertheless, here’s a screen cast showing how it happened one time during my systematic tests. And I attached the created file as well. I was using the MAS version (1.2.1) to create the file and the latest Beta (1.2.1.25410) to open it afterwards.

Hope that helps a bit …  :)

Cheers, Alex

Doubled.mov

TEST.afdesign

The trigger for me seems to be manually creating the slice. Slices created automatically don't appear to have this problem (still looking into this).

Here's how to replicate it in the beta (no need to switch between versions):

- draw a rectangle (150x150 pixels) and create a slice automatically from its layer in the export persona;

- while in Export Persona, create another slice manually with the same dimensions

- save and reopen the file, check the Export Persona.

The manually created slice doubled its size and changed its position.

This is a random issue. Sometimes it works as expected. If it did work, try to move the slice further from the first and create another manually. Change the zoom level, save the file and open again. At some point it will fail.

I was able to reproduce this in all versions: Designer MAS and Beta and Photo Beta - without switching files between them.

I'm logging this to be looked at.

You are right, MEB … I had a hard time to reproduce the issue following your first instructions … but these additional hints enabled me to reproduce it almost immediately:

… try to move the slice further from the first and create another manually. Change the zoom level, save the file and open again. At some point it will fail.

Indeed there’s no need to switch between versions. At the outset I had thought it happens because of the "Actual Zoom Size" settings (so I tried to reproduce it more systematically that way), but that guess can be ruled out by your method. Thank you and sorry for the confusion I might have introduced with my video, Alex  :)

That zoom thing sounds very plausible - working with big masters and many small slices I used to do that a lot. 

Your way of logging issues seems very flawed if it takes this long for a serious issue to get logged just because your initial tester wasn't able to reproduce it at first (I reported this in the beta thread a while back) but I'm glad someone's finally having a look at it.

This just happened to me too. I have the file with the slices mangled... it's a pretty large file (170MB) but I'm happy to upload it if you'll tell me where.

Thanks for looking into this everyone :) Just to let you know, I still can't get it to go wrong, but at least after knowing there's a 'recipe' that works often for most people I can keep on trying it and looking at the code in the areas that are getting executed. I'm currently tracking it down and will let you know when I squash it! ;) Sorry about this in the meantime... :(

Got it! :D  Found and fixed - thanks to everyone that has helped with this, and sincere apologies to everyone who has suffered from this... :(  It'll be in the next beta version of both Designer and Photo - hopefully I'll be able to get a build of Designer out to everyone tomorrow :)

Thanks again,

Matt

Unless you've saved the document in its broken state, then the slices aren't actually broken and will load into the new beta without issues. If you've saved the document in its broken state then it really will think that they're supposed to be that big and there is nothing that I could deduce from the document to try to automatically fix them :(  Again, I really am sorry about this - it's fixed now and won't reappear. Hope this doesn't cause you too many problems? :(

They're obviously saved and broken. And easy fix and nice feature would be able to scale the slices selection. So when I select all slices and then drag from one corner all slices will be resized proportionally.

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB