You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Random Blob Became a Funny Animal

tokai

Was just testing some new things in Affinity Designer 1.7.1 and had this random blob (curve) on the screen, and it looked like an animal, so —a tiny bit later— this came out. Tested the new stroke arrow options too (the feet). ;)

The vectorised voronoi pattern was generated with CINEMA 4D, rendered out, passed through "potrace", and then imported as curve into Affinity Designer. Not sure that's the best way, but works for me.

FunnyAnimal,2,small.jpg

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, tokai said:

I know it's somewhat stupid, but I made some quick friends. :P

Not stupid at all.  Your "random blobs" are delightful!  They would make wonderful illustrations for a children's book.  I particularly like their smiles.  These are such friendly chaps!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

23 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Not stupid at all.  Your "random blobs" are delightful!  They would make wonderful illustrations for a children's book.  I particularly like their smiles.  These are such friendly chaps!!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like my little funny ones.

Making a children book is something that crossed my mind multiple times (not necessarily for those 3 fellows here), only that I always struggle with the right story idea that makes sense from start to finish and can be told in the necessary constraints. Making the actual illustrations is usually the easy/ fun part. :) 

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

1 hour ago, tokai said:

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like my little funny ones.

Making a children book is something that crossed my mind multiple times (not necessarily for those 3 fellows here), only that I always struggle with the right story idea that makes sense from start to finish and can be told in the necessary constraints. Making the actual illustrations is usually the easy/ fun part. :) 

“Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a land far away . . .” is the classic way to start.   From there you just decide what your little funny ones have, don’t have, miss and —always important — are in dire peril from  (and from which they get rescued, probably by another funny one, who becomes a fast friend).  Not too many words and loads of your charming pictures.  I predict you will be a major success.  The illustrations are the HARD PART.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, tokai said:

Rainy Day… let's stay dry! :16_relieved:

You are on your way!  Nice little cat, added to the crew.

Nice!...like the style....

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1