You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color management not working properly?

I noticed something quite unpleasant in all 3 apps checking out the final Publisher …

Color management does not seem to work properly:

While all Adobe apps display 100% cyan correctly on my hardware calibrated monitor (EIZO CG 277), this is clearly not the case with Affinity apps. Since we already have to pay attention to correct coloring in the layout phase, this would almost be a knock-out criterion for us if color (especially in the pre-press area of important boundary areas) could not be displayed correctly in the Affinity apps.

I have of course checked the color settings in the Affinity Apps - everything quite the same like the Adobe Apps with cmyk ISOcoated v2 ...

Please find attached a ZIP with a screenshot - InDesign and Publisher side by side (PNG incl. Monitor color profile - if the PNG is opened on a properly calibrated monitor, for example in Photoshop, the difference is clearly visible). Hopefully, I overlooked something ...

AffinityColorNotCorrect.zip

@haakoo This 4 sure I know :27_sunglasses: but to show the difference with a screenshot the PNG with the Monitorprofile shows it very well in Photoshop (if u have a correct profiled Monitor - Even P3 does not match 100% cyan)

Find attached a cmyk JPG - the color result doesn't change :9_innocent:

AffinityColorNotCorrect_jpg-cmyk.zip

Edited by Joerg Thoeming
Attached cmyk JPG with profile ISOcoated v2

@haakoo Of course I could write a PDF x4 every time for review and check it in Acrobat DC - but I do not think that's very efficient.
To see the correct colors on the monitor, should currently be a prerequisite for software that wants to act with Adobe at least at eye level.
Do not get me wrong - I find the way, the Serif with the Affinity apps is absolutely great to create radically meshed programs (Studio Link !! 1:1 iPad version !!). But especially in this process, you have to point out a few basic restrictions that may well be a no go for agencies (for example, the desktop apps on the Mac - the color space P3 on the iPad, of course, can not afford 100%, that's clear).

Edit: And that's why I can not understand that Apple is serious about their new and expensive high-end monitor on the color space P3 ...

Edit2: macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Edited by Joerg Thoeming
macOS completed

Ah, that's possibly by JPG-compression.
His screenshot PNG doesn't show this kind of dithering, and it has the CG277 monitor profile assigned. [hm, ... and it does not have the dark diagonal lines that are in the JPG, which was probably later created from the PNG – how did these lines come into the JPG if they were not in the original screenshot? ]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

26 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

why doesn’t it happen on the right side, where the cyan rectangle from Designer is displayed? :/

Because of better color management :27_sunglasses: – No, serious, I have no idea where the dithering in the PNG would come from – unless it is no original screenshot file.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

23 hours ago, A_B_C said:

@Joerg Thoeming 

Am I right in the assumption that the slight dithering in the cyan color on the left of your screenshot (Indesign) is an artifact of taking the screenshot and saving it to JPEG?

Yes — The original png with the original Monitor Profile is PNG ... for showing it with a cmyk Profile it has to be Profile converted and saved as cmyk JPG B| 

What ever I tried – the Affinity Apps are out of gammut and not able to show 100% cyan... 

Edited by Joerg Thoeming

I found out what the dithering is - InDesign was in layout mode not in preview mode - so the dithering is nothing else then the lines of the (color) container (the cross in the middle).

Pleas find attached a new ZIP with both: original monitor profile PNG and a profile converted into ISOcoated v2 JPG.

It is what it is - the Affinity Apps are out of gammut (Mac only?)

macOS 10.14.5 (Mojave), EIZO CG277 hardware calibrated (99% AdobeRGB, 100% ISOcoated v2)

AffinityOutOfGammut.zip