You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sync favorite fonts between programs and copy from beta

While using Publisher in beta, I had set quite a few fonts as favorites, which didn't carry over in the release version. I assume there's a file somewhere I can copy from the beta to the release to get these favorites moved over, anyone know where that might be (Windows). Also, is there a feature to sync these favorited fonts between Publisher, Photo, and Designer?

So I found the fonts file in appdata\roaming... and in editing the file was able to copy my favorite fonts from beta to the release version. While I was at it I edited the fonts files for Photo and Designer too so they'd all match. I got an error message when loading Publisher and Photo, and the favorite fonts didn't show up in the program itself. However Designer loaded up fine and all the favorited fonts were there.

It would be great to have favorited fonts sync up between programs.

Ah I figured it out. I had never made any favorite fonts in Photo or in the release version of Publisher, only in Designer and Publisher beta. So it didn't like me adding an entry for favorites in the text file when it hadn't generated that entry itself. So I added one favorite in Photo and one in Publisher, then edited their fonts files with all my favorited fonts and they both accepted them.

Still, as I wrote before, it would be great to have these synced between programs.

Serif have commented elsewhere that it would be nice to have that capability, but they haven't found a good/safe way to do it. 

You could buy some of the applications from Serif and some from either Apple or Microsoft. That makes it hard to predict where the various configuration files are saved, and sandboxing may make it difficult or impossible for one application to update another application's files.

But be sure to post a feature request, or post in an existing feature request topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...

I wish I remembered exactly... it wasn't easy.

Okay I found the file again. I'm in Windows, so if you're on a Mac it will be in a somewhat different location. But in windows go to:

Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher (or Designer or Photo)\1.0(or whatever version)\Settings\Fonts.xml

So the 'Fonts.xml' file contains the favorited fonts for the specific program's folder you're in. Open it in NotePad, or something you can edit it in. Now look carefully for a line saying, "<FavouriteFamilyNames>" followed by a list of your favorited fonts. It then ends with "</FavouriteFamilyNames>" again. Copy all of this text.

Next open the same 'Fonts.xml' file in the Designer, or photo, or whatever Affinity program folder you want to copy your favorites to. Carefully highlight the favorited fonts you want to overwrite, and paste in your previously copied text. Next time you open Designer, or whatever, you should see your favorited fonts from Publisher, or whatever program you copied them from. Good luck.

You could simply copy the entire file, rather than editing it. That would be simpler, and the only downside is that it would also copy the "recently used fonts" information across.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

I'm in Windows, so if you're on a Mac it will be in a somewhat different location.

From what I can tell, there are no *.xml files in the per user Affinity files on Macs. Instead, this info is stored in *.dat files, wih a similar (& not easily parsed) data structure to the *.propcol files. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could simply copy the entire file, rather than editing it. That would be simpler, and the only downside is that it would also copy the "recently used fonts" information across.

I was afraid to try that, good to know it would be that easy. I thought I remember seeing other differences, but perhaps not.

Yeah, no idea with Mac unfortunately.

• 2 years later...
On 10/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, walt.farrell said:

Thanks Walt and Nathan too for this, saved me two hours typing my favourite fonts from Photo to Designer.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:18 AM, Nathan Shirley said:

Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher (or Designer or Photo)\1.0(or whatever version)\Settings\Fonts.xml

So the 'Fonts.xml' file contains the favorited fonts for the specific program's folder you're in. Open it in NotePad,

On 10/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, R C-R said:

From what I can tell, there are no *.xml files in the per user Affinity files on Macs. Instead, this info is stored in *.dat files, wih a similar (& not easily parsed) data structure to the *.propcol files. :(

Any idea why Serif might have decided to develop it for mac this way? Aside the difference between mac and Windows – what advantage does it cause for the app to create user preference files in a format which is unreadable for users? In particular since Serif well experienced the advantage of XML readability when developing APub's .IDML import?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Any idea why Serif might have decided to develop it for mac this way?

Nope.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7