You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stock tab

Good evening,
Whenever I go under the Stock tab to load images, Pexels and Pixabay work fine, but Unsplash displays the error message "Failed to connect" I do not understand why.
Is there a solution to remedy this problem?

Thanking you296719658_Ashampoo_Snap_jeudi20juin2019_19h48m53s_002_.png.a04fd8efcbcc905e43c4fff63490e220.png

Went and tested this and when I first used Pixabay it just all happened, searched for something, dragged it onto the page and boom, all good.

Then did a search with Unsplash, got results, went to drag something to the page and got the disclaimer "these images are not provided by serif", not a prob, ticked the box and nothing happened. The same thing happened with Pexels and I had no real idea what to do next. So I closed the disclaimer window and tried again and it worked. No idea if this is intended but did find it very confusing, as I expected the disclaimer box to have some kind of "click okay and of we go".

Not sure if this is helpful, but did my best.

What version of Windows are you using, @libfree?

There is another topic describing issues with Windows 7, as Unsplash requires TLS v1.2 for communication security, and Windows 7 does not support that by default. The result is connection errors.  If that's your problem you can see the resolution here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank You Walt, Yes, I have a Windows 7 (x64) but how to add the following registry key ?:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client]
"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000

4 minutes ago, libfree said:

Yes, I have a Windows 7 (x64) but how to add the following registry key ?:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client]

That’s just one of the four registry keys which you need to add. Download the ‘TLS 1.x on Windows 7’ zip archive from the linked page, unzip it to access the *.reg file and then double-click the unzipped registry file to add the keys to the Windows registry.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@libfree

You only need the one registry key not all 4 but the one you have specified in this thread is incorrect

You should use TLS 1.2 not 1.1

Don't have time today but someone else may make a .reg file for you that will add the right registry key automatically.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 minutes ago, libfree said:

That's what I wanted to do but the link says: 404 - File or directory not found.

Sorry about that! As you may have gathered, I hadn’t bothered to try the link (and as Carl has pointed out, you do only need the one key but it has to be the one for TLS 1.2).

You can create your own *.reg file in Notepad. Copy and paste the following text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client] 

The default ‘Save as type’ setting in the Save dialog is ‘Text Documents’, which is not what you want because it will add a .txt extension to the file name. Change the setting to ‘All Files’ so that you can save your new file with a .reg extension, giving you a file that you can double-click to add the new information to the registry.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, libfree said:

Thank you Alfred, I imported the key, but the problem remains the same, still no connection to Unsplash.

Check your firewall settings.

Alfred spacer.png

@libfree

Can you download the attached .reg file and run it, restart Publisher and check Unspash again

I have tested it on a Windows 7.0 PC but do not have Publisher on that PC so I cant test Unsplash there

Note: The attached reg file is for Windows 7 only do not use it on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, unpredictable results could occur

tsl-fix.reg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, libfree said:

Thank You Carl123,
it works, thank you very much for your help.

Yeah, it's pretty weird

What Alfred wrote to create the .reg file should have worked but does not.

I was getting really weird and confusing results

So I had to create it another way

Glad it works for you

On 6/21/2019 at 3:09 PM, carl123 said:

What Alfred wrote to create the .reg file should have worked but does not.

I was getting really weird and confusing results

So I had to create it another way

@carl123 There is a difference between "REGEDIT4" and "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" .reg files. The first use single-byte Windows character encoding (typically Windows-1252), the latter use UTF-16 (characters represented using code points taking 16 bits or more). In notepad the first one is called ANSI (which is a terrible name, as it has nothing to do with ANSI), the second one - Unicode (which is not as precise as it could be, but well, Microsoft...). So I suspect that during saving you did not set Unicode, that's why it wasn't working properly for you, so you did the change yourself in regedit, exported and shared it afterwards in the thread.

Affinity v2 suite [Designer 2.4.0.2301 | Photo 2.4.0.2301 | Publisher 2.4.0.2301]
NUC11PHKi7C [Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.8GHz, DDR4-3200 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2060] | 32UN880-B | Windows 11 Pro (10.0.22631)

Affinity v1 suite [Designer 1.10.6.1665 | Photo 1.10.6.1665 | Publisher 1.10.6.1665]
ThinkPad T430 (2344-56G) [Core i7 3520M @ 2.9GHz, DDR3-1600 8GB RAM, NVS 5400M] | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (6.1.7601)

@przemoc

Thanks I figured it had something to do with ANSI and Unicode and tried saving in both but even when I got it to update the registry it still did weird things like adding a duplicate entry or even another duplicate entry with a ? (question mark) on the end of it.

In the end I just exported the (similar) SSL 2.0 entry from my Windows 8.1 PC and modified that for TLS 1.2 and tested on my Windows 7 PC.