You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer] Can you select by clicking instead of dragging around the whole object?

Is there a setting to change the way selecting objects works? How do I select one text box behind another, without first having dragged a selection around both, and shift clicking the top object? The bounding box for the top object doesn't actually have anything directly above the object that is below it. But in order for me to select the object below, I have to select them both and deselect the top one.

Basically I have an ai that was converted to affdesigner. There are a lot of text objects that converted in strange ways and it's somewhat of a hassle selecting them sometimes.

Here's an example.  But sometimes it's even more strange because although the "a different text box" in this example, is smaller than the other box, sometimes it's converted in a way where even that small text box is really large.

I forget what this was called in AI but I remember there was a setting for it. I think this was in addition to using the direct selection tool.

I realize that going forward the best way to make the same kind of looking layout would be to use text box plus artistic text, but I'm dealing with several files converted from AI.

Hold Alt, now each time you click it selects the next object behind the selected one.

Alternatively select in the Layers panel.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro