You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Help Menu Missing

I have just downloaded the trial version of Affinity Designer. I wanted to read trough the help files in order to get a feel for the new software as I have been a lifelong user of CorelDRAW since V1 and am now just about to update to the latest version. When I clicked on the "Affinity Designer Help" item under the Help Menu, the new screen opened but there was no menu of items on the left hand side. I know it should be there as it flashes up very fleetingly when I first open the screen. Is there a bug with this waiting to be ironed out or is there something I can do on my system to rectify it.

Mac OS X Yosemite with all latest updates installed including latest version of Java for OS X. Screen shot attached.

Thank you in advance.

(I run CorelDRAW, that is Windows only, on my Mac via Parallels Desktop before anybody asks :-D)

post-11307-0-63620400-1432379421_thumb.png

I have just downloaded the trial version of Affinity Designer. I wanted to read trough the help files in order to get a feel for the new software as I have been a lifelong user of CorelDRAW since V1 and am now just about to update to the latest version. When I clicked on the "Affinity Designer Help" item under the Help Menu, the new screen opened but there was no menu of items on the left hand side. I know it should be there as it flashes up very fleetingly when I first open the screen. Is there a bug with this waiting to be ironed out or is there something I can do on my system to rectify it.

Mac OS X Yosemite with all latest updates installed including latest version of Java for OS X. Screen shot attached.

Thank you in advance.

(I run CorelDRAW, that is Windows only, on my Mac via Parallels Desktop before anybody asks :-D)

Hi PaulW,

I am using the paid version of AD, so downloaded the latest trial version to see if the same thing happens to me.

I am unable to replicate this problem, screen shot attached.

Do you have 2 trial versions installed side by side?

Regards,

Paul.

This is weird...

I opened up Affinity Designer whilst Affinity Photo Beta was open and the menu Item is there. If I close Affinity Photo the menu in Designer Help disappears.

Another problem occurs when both Applications are open and an item from Designer Help menu is selected. After reading the item you click the back button to return to the main menu, the menu just disappears without trace. I then have to close both Applications down, reopen both, and then open "Affinity Designer Help" again.

So now if I want to use Designer help with the menu in place I have to open the Beta version of Photo, and then close and reopen both programmes when I need to read a new item.

Just for the record, the Menu stays in place when using Affinity Photo Beta. The problem is only experienced with the Help screen in Designer.

• Staff

Hi PaulW,

I can't replicate your issue, however some other users have experienced a similar issue with the help in the beta versions running on Yosemite. I believe the beta builds have been updated with a fix, see this forum post.

Thanks

Its not the Beta version that is causing the problem but the trial version of Designer. The Affinity Photo Help screen works fine. All recent Photo Beta Updates have been installed and I assume I am using the latest version of Designer as I downloaded it only a couple of days ago. I can't find an option to force the software to look to see if there are any updates.

• Staff

Hi PaulW,

I believe the latest fix for the Help wasn't implemented in the Mac App Store version yet (and consequently in the trial). Currently Photo and Designer's Help systems are using two different approaches while we address/test this issue.

To keep Affinity Designer (and Photo) Betas updated, just run them normally. When a new version is out you will receive a notification along with a download button to get the latest version.

I know there was an issue with the latest update that prevented the notification to appear, but apart from this it usually works flawlessly. The latest Designer Beta version is 1.2.1.25410 and you can get it from here.

I didn't download from the App Store I downloaded directly from your web page. It is not a Beta Version, it is the Trial Version.

The only Beta Version I have is Affinity Photo and the help screen for that works fine. 

Thank you MEB, downloaded and opened help file, all appears OK. Now just to see how it stands up to Corel... There is already one thing I can't find that Corel does but that is for another thread.

Again thank you MEB for your help.