You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Broken layers behaviour in a group

Version 1.7 - 1.7.1.143

1. Completely broken layers behavior  in a group - everything that below pixel layer is not working. For example add curves, add pixel layer, add curves, then group this three layers. First curves layer (bottom) will not work. Sometimes all adjustment layers in a group will not work (not just below pixel layer). Same order but no grouping - no problem.
  2. Small UI - on 10.5’ it is hard to navigate with fingers, small circles for width/opacity/flow/etc. There is no visible left arrow at the bottom when using any tool (near left circle), but I am constantly triggering it and instead of changing brush size I am about to 'continue last' and 'pick color'. Please, only right arrow is needed at default view.
  3. Please add option to use original filename when exporting.

8 hours ago, SergeyZhdanko said:

Completely broken layers behavior  in a group - everything that below pixel layer is not working. For example add curves, add pixel layer, add curves, then group this three layers. First curves layer (bottom) will not work. Sometimes all adjustment layers in a group will not work (not just below pixel layer). Same order but no grouping - no problem

From my understanding, Adjustment layers operate on all the layers beneath them. If you place a curve layer above a pixel layer it will effect that pixel layer and any pixel layer below as well. If you move it below that pixel layer it no longer effects the pixel layer above it (by design). You can nest the curve adjustment by clipping it to the pixel layer. Now it will sit below the pixel layer but be slightly indented. The curve adjustment will now only effect the pixel layer into which it is clipped and none of the lower layers (unless they are also clipped to this pixel layer).  Add another curve layer above the Group and it will effect all pixel layers below it, including grouped pixel layers.

2. Yes, not sure smaller ui is an 'improvement '.

3. Agree.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Also, adjustment layers in a group affect only the layers in that group, if the group also contains a pixel layer. If you don't want to restrict the adjustments to the pixel layer that is in the group, they should not be in that group.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, adjustment layers in a group affect only the layers in that group, if the group also contains a pixel layer. If you don't want to restrict the adjustments to the pixel layer that is in the group, they should not be in that group.

What to do with organising then?)) Color adjustments, dodge and burn, color grading and so on. It wasn't a thing in 1.6 version. Because I have projects started in 1.6 and after update those edits looks wrong. Also, you can do the same in Adobe Photoshop (group adjustment layers) and it will be correct no matter what. This is not a feature, it is a bug. Try to make this in PS and then open psd file in AF on iPad. You will see that it is wrong. If I want to target adjustments to a specific layer, I am using clipping. But groups is only for organising purposes

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Try to add couple adjustment layers in Adobe Photoshop, then group them. You will see that result is completely different. Then export .psd file and open with AF 1.7 version. Grouping in PS is for organizing purposes (as it should be). Clipping is different. I am talking about grouping layers. If I want to target specific layer with adjustments, I am using clipping, it is basic knowledge. If I want to organize color edits (curves, dodge and burn, color balance) then I am using groups.

46 minutes ago, SergeyZhdanko said:

It wasn't a thing in 1.6 version.

I can't be sure about iPad, but as far as I know on the desktop versions this behavior has been consistent in both 1.6 and 1.7 (and perhaps earlier).

So if you're sure that it behaved differently in 1.6 on the iPad I will have to trust that you're right, and simply figure that Serif changed it to be consistent since both the desktop and iPad versions are supposed to work consistently.

Sorry; I can't offer anything more.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

To my knowledge it has always behaved this way. I haven't noticed any difference between 1.6 and 1.7 on the iPad in this respect.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't be sure about iPad, but as far as I know on the desktop versions this behavior has been consistent in both 1.6 and 1.7 (and perhaps earlier).

So if you're sure that it behaved differently in 1.6 on the iPad I will have to trust that you're right, and simply figure that Serif changed it to be consistent since both the desktop and iPad versions are supposed to work consistently.

Sorry; I can't offer anything more.

13 hours ago, DM1 said:

To my knowledge it has always behaved this way. I haven't noticed any difference between 1.6 and 1.7 on the iPad in this respect.

So what about Adobe Photoshop? They claimed that compatibility is enhanced in the new version (import/export). Seems like desktop Affinity Photo and iPad versions are compatible, but .psd files are very limited, at least with layers in groups (usually I have very extensive edits with dozens of layers and groups). It's like 2 weeks on a new version and still weird for me to work like that. Ok, thank you guys for your response!