You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggested Additions for Publisher

Some things I would like to see added to Affinity Publisher in the future are ...

• Captions for inserted illustrations.
  • A story editor mode for text editing.
  • A grammar checker and a proofreader.
  • A Thesaurus.
  • A pre-flight check before publishing or exporting.
  • A mail merge facility.
  • A barcode generator for using on book covers. Although that might be useful for Affinity Designer if one is considering the integrated suite.
  • A book publishing management function.
  • Footnotes / endnotes and cross-references.
  • PagePlus / Scribus file import facilities.
  • Improved filter effects including Materials, Warp, Shadows, Reflections, Feathering and regularly used presets.

Not essential but useful would be ...

• Templates.
  • E-publishing,
  • Charts would be useful.
  • An integral font management tool for managing installed fonts on the system.
Edited by Michael S Harvey
Forgot to include the Thesaurus suggestion

I very much second the idea of an import facility for legacy PagePlus files. I can understand the pressure to get AP out there but I can't help feeling that Serif has let down its legacy users of PagePlus here in not supplying it.  I have seen it suggested that export -> import can be achieved by means of a pdf but I find that wholly inadequate. The elements of the page (e.g. a table) are lost as functional elements and only the 'picture' content appears.  Short of a turnaround from Serif it means starting again from scratch.

Nigel

Yes I agree. However, Affinity was developed initially for Mac which didn't get to run PagePlus and that is the platform that most professional DTP users were on at the time. So maybe supporting that software file format is not such a priority.