You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make Linked images have inverted colours

While doing a bit of experimenting I came across what may be a bug.

• I opened a CMYK PDF in Publisher (original artwork created with InDesign)
  • From the 'Resource Manager' dialogue I selected the images and chose 'Make Linked'
  • Images saved as .jpg into a folder
  • File saved as a Publisher document

The process seems to be working well except that the images that are now linked and saved into the folder have inverted colours - ie. have become negative.

How are you doing the third item: "Images saved as .jpg into a folder"? I have seen this sort of thing before with conversions in other software over the years it is because CMYK is subtractive so the CMYK channels are negatives. And JPEG isn't CMYK so it is reading the C as Red and the M as Green and the Y as Blue and disregarding the K (black).

Edit: Just a thought Are you just changing the file extension? *.PDF to *.JPEG

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I can see that my original post isn't very clear, so I will add a bit more detail.

The idea is that I am testing out how viable it is to convert PDF's into AP files and save the images as linked instead of embedded.

I have tested this out with two PDF's generated from InDesign files. One PDF contains CMYK .tif photos and saved as PDF/X-1a, the other contains CMYK photoshop .eps photos and saved as a 'press quality' non flattened PDF.

When opened in AP and according to Resource Manager, the images are all CMYK .jpg - I assume this is because both PDF's use JPEG compression when being exported from InDesign, hence AP sees them as .jpg instead of the original format? I am not manually changing file extensions or anything like that.

Within AP Resource Manager I used the option to make embedded photos linked, which then prompts for a folder to save them in (as in point 3 above 'Images saved as .jpg into a folder').

At this point when images are saved they are also inverted.

So, now I have just done another quick experiment. I saved a PDF containing CMYK .tif images from InDesign but this time I made sure JPEG compression was turned OFF, when opened in AP the images are still .tif and when selecting 'make linked' they are saved into the folder without being changed to negative.

There is the bug - When using AP to open a CMYK PDF that uses JPEG compression and then changing images from embedded to linked, the .jpg images saved become negative.

3 hours ago, DesignSurge said:

There is the bug - When using AP to open a CMYK PDF that uses JPEG compression and then changing images from embedded to linked, the .jpg images saved become negative.

Weird, indeed. But it might be worse that those images opened from a PDF have lost their color profile information, according to Resource Manager.
That way it might become more or less risky or useless to take such images for further use, regardless if used embedded or saved negatively.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, DesignSurge said:

When using AP to open a CMYK PDF that uses JPEG compression and then changing images from embedded to linked, the .jpg images saved become negative.

Just a wild shot. When you enable TIF compression are they compressed for Mac or Windows. I wonder would that make any difference.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 2 weeks later...