You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numeric placement for guidelines

As an alternative, you can type in exact measurements in the Guides Manager (View > Guides Manager).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 3:09 AM, walt.farrell said:

As an alternative, you can type in exact measurements in the Guides Manager (View > Guides Manager).

You can, but it's a speed/convenience issue. Not only that, sometimes you just want to check that a guideline is in the position you hope it is in, so selecting it and seeing a readout of it's x or y placement (and being able to revised those values if required) is very handy. At the moment my biggest issue is that I've not found a way to select a bunch of guidelines and move them together....is that possible? I hope so or I'm cooked.....

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

5 hours ago, AndyQ said:

At the moment my biggest issue is that I've not found a way to select a bunch of guidelines and move them together....is that possible?

Not possible, as far as I know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/24/2019 at 5:27 AM, elmonopascual said:

+1 for move guides by selecting and using the cursor keys (nudge distance)

I didn't think of that one, an excellent suggestion. I do like the fact that Designer allows you to set the nudge distances so that's super-handy.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

• 3 years later...

In 2022, just discovering Designer... and I can't believe controlling guides has been made so awkward. If I select a guide, I can't see/adjust its position anywhere in the UI (no options appear below the menu bar like other tools), I can't right-click it for quick settings, and the huge Guides Manager (titled only "Guides") stops all workflow while it gets in the way - and it can't be docked. Controlling guides should be quick and easy - at least a dockable panel or toolbar options - as it's currently unnecessarily difficult.

3 hours ago, N A said:

In 2022, just discovering Designer... and I can't believe controlling guides has been made so awkward. If I select a guide, I can't see/adjust its position anywhere in the UI (no options appear below the menu bar like other tools), I can't right-click it for quick settings, and the huge Guides Manager (titled only "Guides") stops all workflow while it gets in the way - and it can't be docked. Controlling guides should be quick and easy - at least a dockable panel or toolbar options - as it's currently unnecessarily difficult.

Once the guide has been placed to move it you need to use the Move tool, the Arrow. Default keyboard shortcut is V.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.