You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is Affinity installed on my PC?

I bought Affinity Designer and Photo from the Microsoft store. It downloaded them and installed them. I can see them in my start list but I cannot find the apps anywhere on my computer. So, where are they?

Except it's not.Thanks for your reply HVDB. That is where it should be. But, nothing. I checked the Program Files, Program Files (x86) and every other file I could think of. I'm wondering if Microsoft only let me get a link to a cloud based software. Boy, that'll piss me off.

Hi, Aammppaa. Thanks. I just got it. I chatted with a customer service rep from India. At first he wanted to get into my machine. Not happening. Then he told me it was in the Hidden Folder WindowsApps. But he said it was in the Windows folder and not the Program Files folder. After some digging I found it. What a bunch of nonsense. Install them where they belong. I wonder if I can change where it is installed. I'm going to ask affinity about that.

2 hours ago, jbrad2 said:

I'm going to ask affinity about that.

Serif has no control over where the Microsoft Store chooses to install programs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, jbrad2 said:

Install them where they belong. I wonder if I can change where it is installed.

I am not a Windows user but as I understand it, all apps bought through the Microsoft Store must remain in their originally installed locations for everything to work right. Otherwise there may be problems installing updates or issues due to sandboxing.

Basically, if it anything like with Macs, when items are hidden by default it is a good indication they should not be moved or altered by users unless they know exactly what the consequences might be & are prepared to deal with them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, jbrad2 said:

Hi, R C-R. I agree with you that because it is sandboxed it should remain as is. I just don't like it that Microsoft has seen fit to have more control over a product that I own than I do.

It's done at your own risk, but it's possible to regain control - have a look at this.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

3 hours ago, jbrad2 said:

Hi, R C-R. I agree with you that because it is sandboxed it should remain as is. I just don't like it that Microsoft has seen fit to have more control over a product that I own than I do.

You know you could have bought directly from Serif?..

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

What's the issue with Microsoft's install location? Is it causing a problem?

Isn't it known to cause some issues with using Affinity Photo as a kind of plug-in (Edit with...) for some other applications? I recall reading some time ago that users needed to move the app in order to get that kind of function to work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Isn't it known to cause some issues with using Affinity Photo as a kind of plug-in (Edit with...) for some other applications? I recall reading some time ago that users needed to move the app in order to get that kind of function to work.

Possibly, but that's probably because the other applications aren't using newer APIs for launching store based applications (we use these new APIs for launching via 'Open In Designer' / 'Open In Photo' menu items from the Microsoft Store versions of the apps). 

• 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, Lucas CM said:

I bought Affinity Photo 2.0 FROM AFFINITY and the .exe file is nowhere to be found!

It's hard to find but not impossible

Do you have a particular reason to find it as several solutions to those sorts of queries have already been posted in other threads

So, we may be able to point you to the right one

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

If all else fails, try this. Not guaranteed to work with every app but so far with mine it's been good. You'll have to paste the entire path into whatever file dialog window you encounter, as the parent path has security in place that will prevent you from browsing there.

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Photo.exe

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

No, I've not made any security changes, I haven't had to. I'm reluctant to do that since it could affect other functionally. Have you contacted On1 and asked them? 

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

On 11/11/2022 at 8:51 PM, Michael Lucero said:

lphilpot, I cut and pasted your path into On1's field. Even though the file was copied as a psd for use with Photo, I got a window that says I may have a permission issue. Any idea how to set the permissions correctly?

Michael

We use App Execution Alias to enable this scenario. You can find the aliases in the following location:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

Remembering to replace username with your Windows username. Also, those paths are already in your %PATH% variable so you can often launch them without even specifying the full path, e.g. just AffinityPhoto2.exe. There are bugs in some third-party applications with the App Execution Alias so I'm working on an aflaunch app that will bridge the gap here.