You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo – resize image when resolution changed

Hi Affinity, loving my new software (Photo, Designer and Publisher) bought them all yesterday and looking good so far.

There is one thing that I just can't seem to work out. I do work for a publishing company and it is important that they know the size of their images at print resolution (300ppi). Otherwise they use the pictures too large on their layouts and we can't make PDFs to send to the printer.

So before any layout work is started we make sure that all the images are 300ppi.

In Photoshop this was very easy. Image > Image Size > Document Size - change the resolution of the picture to 300ppi with 'Resample Image' unchecked.

Photoshop then alters the physical size (width and height) of the picture so it still looks good at the new resolution.

So for a picture that was 72ppi to start off with we end up with a smaller picture when the resolution is changed to 300ppi.

I can't seem to get this to work in Affinity Photo.

I have gone into Affinity Photo > Document > Resize Document. I have changed the DPI from 72 to 300 and unchecked 'Resample', but it is not making the image physically smaller.

I have been playing around with this for ages and I am getting nowhere.

Am I missing something? All I want is to be able to resize images to the size they need to be at 300dpi.

Affinity Photo looks amazing, I am sure there must be a way to do something as simple as this?

Thank you for any assistance.

Hi Affinity, please disregard my earlier question. 'Affinity Photo – resize image when resolution changed'.

I have just worked out the Affinity way of laying out pages and handling pictures. Love the little dialogue box in Publisher that lets you set the resolution at the layout stage on the actual page. I have always tried to get the picture sizes sorted out before the layout process begins. But I love the way you do it. Just got to explain this to the designers I work with...

Onwards and upwards in this brave new world... Thank you

• Staff

@SimonF

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) I will ignore your questions, but not delete it, as it gives me somewhere to welcome you. (If only all support tickets were this easy)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

It might be, that in a workflow with publisher all works out fine. Still I'm astonished that I can not change the image size in affinity photo, if I like to see it's size in cm or mm and change the resolution with 'Resample Image' unchecked. in fact, it seems like it changes the size of the image anyway if I chose cm or mm and change the resolution …

The Affinity way of doing things is causing a few problems.

If you work on small projects where the designer handles all the picture gathering and the page layout then the Affinity way works ok (ish).

When calling the pictures into the Affinity Publisher pages you can see their max size at the resolution you need for print (300) and design the pages accordingly.

BUT if you are part of a bigger team with a more traditional publishing workflow then someone else is handling the picture gathering.

Normally that person is not a designer, they are a picture gatherer/picture researcher. They do not place the pictures onto the pages, so they don't use Affinity Publisher. It is incredibly useful for that person to know that the pictures they have gathered are physically big enough (at 300ppi) to be used in the printed publication. It is too late in the workflow for the designer to discover at the page layout stage that the pictures are too small.

When working with Adobe products I have solved this problem by giving the picture researcher a Photoshop droplet that automatically resizes any picture to the size it would be at 300ppi. Then the picture researcher knows straightaway if there is a potential problem and can source larger versions or different pictures, before passing the layout job onto the designer.

It would be incredibly useful if Affinity Photo handled picture sizes the same way as Photoshop. All I want is to be able to resize images to the size they need to be at 300dpi. I can't seem to do this in Affinity Photo. Grrrrrrrrr.

I have all 3 Affinity design programs. They are brilliant. I am a huge fan of Affinity.

But this resize image problem just seems like such a simple thing that has been overlooked.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I hope that this will come up in the Affinity PHOTO forum on the subject of RESOLUTION, as I posted it earlier in what I thought was the right forum and the right thread, but I also had the Affinity Publisher forum open in another window (the infamous thread on footnotes), and the following posting appeared in that thread.

Here we try again.  I have closed the window that had the Publisher forum open.  Let's hope that this appears in the thread "Affinity Photo – resize image when resolution changed", which seems pretty close to what I am asking, although not quite the same.

I am trying to make the transition from Photoshop to Affinity Photo and for developing raw images I find Affinity Photo more powerful than the raw file converter, but I have a problem with resolution.

Amongst other cameras, I use a Fujifilm GFX 50S and when I convert the raw images with the free software RAW FILE CONVERTER EX 3.0 powered by SILKYPIX, I get images with a resolution of 300 DPI, but when I convert them in Affinity Photo Develop Persona, the result has just 72 DPI (even though when I open the file in Photoshop I find that it is 16 bit!).

There must be an Affinity Photo default setting that is wrong, but I can't see where to change it.

I know how to change the resolution manually, one image at a time, in Affinity Photo, after the image has been developed, but cutting the native resolution from the 300 dpi in the camera down to 72 dpi and then changing it back up to 300 dpi must result in loss of definition.

Guidance on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

Trevor

8 hours ago, Trevor A said:

I know how to change the resolution manually, one image at a time, in Affinity Photo, after the image has been developed, but cutting the native resolution from the 300 dpi in the camera down to 72 dpi and then changing it back up to 300 dpi must result in loss of definition.

DPI does not change the pixel resolution of the image, just the size it would be printed if printed out at that DPI.

For more about this see for example https://affinityspotlight.com/article/understanding-dpi/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, Trevor A said:

There is no in-camera native resolution, just pixels. My camera (and everyone else's camera) has Pixels, about 5200 by 3500. At 72 DPI that is a width of about 6 feet. At 300 DPI it is a width of about a foot and half. 

You are losing absolutely nothing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

There is no in-camera native resolution, just pixels

True, but cameras can report a DPI, and if they do, Affinity Photo will use it as part of its document properties.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

True, but cameras can report a DPI, and if they do, Aunty Photo will use it as part of its document properties.

Aunty Photo?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Aunty Photo?

Common autocorrect issue for me. Usually my phone gets it right. Sometimes not, and then usually I notice.

I've changed it often enough that I'm surprised it hasn't figured it out, by now :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1