You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing text editor ?

20 hours ago, PaoloT said:

What I would really want is total compatibility with Scrivener. Edit in Scrivener, polish the layout in Publisher.

No, I don't want to buy Scrivener.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 hours ago, PaoloT said:

What I would really want is total compatibility with Scrivener. Edit in Scrivener, polish the layout in Publisher.

Can't you already edit in Scrivener, and layout in Publisher?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can't you already edit in Scrivener, and layout in Publisher?

You can export an RTF file from Scrivener, and then import it in Publisher. Then, you'll have to replace the embedded images or their placeholders with linked images. And then you'll have to add styles to the images. Tables will also have to be styled and resized.

It's a one-way process. Once a document has been finished in Publisher, you can't do anything in Scrivener, unless you restart from the raw text.

There is another interesting path, that might or might not be viable in the next future. It consists in exporting from Scrivener to Publisher through a Pandoc conversion to ICML. This is the format used by Adobe InCopy, and is used to exchange parts of a document between layout artists (working in InDesign) and authors (working in InCopy).

The advantage of this format is that it allows one to edit text already inserted in a layout, leaving the layout untouched.

At the moment, Pandoc allows for only going from Scrivener to InDesign, not the other way round. A better integration would see Scrivener used as an equivalent of InCopy, but with the added benefits of Scrivener.

Less and less interested in InDesign, I hope this integration can happen in Publisher.

Paolo

I'll add something to the above. Even without going though Pandoc, Scrivener has a powerful MultiMarkDown engine in it. If Publisher and Scrivener could talk using this syntax, maybe they could really become an integrated editing suite. Without anything else in the middle, and becoming an exclusive solution.

Paolo

I would also +1 for a basic text/story editor similar to what's available in InDesign.  I don't write directly in InDesign/Publisher, but for editing, it can make things easier, especially if you're talking about minor edits and not a major overhaul.  Once you have the layout in the design program and formatted the way you like, you don't really want to re-import and re-format to get the changes in.  And a story/text editor can make that easier than sorting through the document to find everything especially if the content spans multiple pages or, as others have mentioned, is wrapped around images or sideways and so on.

A text editor is sorely missed. It is an indispensable tool in large documents (often also small ones) and publications in a professional workflow.

I can (unfortunately) see that there are many users in this forum who have no idea what a text editor is used for in DTP and especially when. That is entirely their problem.

Serif's problem is that if Publisher never gets a focused and functionally competent text tool a'la story editor, then Publisher will not be a useful program in many professional contexts.

That's why I expect it to come in version 2 or later. 

/Eddie

You are

1. Copy pasting the content to another product
  2. Using a story editor in that discontinued product - it was only available for Windows, as I understand
  3. Pasting the content back
  4. Calls the process easy?

Are there any professionals other than us (my staff and I) in this forum? One recommended workaround is more incomprehensible than the other.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The lack of a text editor is ridiculous, as are the comment that one can use an external text editor and 'copy the text' back and forth etc. If you're working on anything of significant length, an inline text editor is essential. InDesign's is perfect. Editing 'on the page/stone' is NOT good enough for professional publishing so I cannot work out why this has been ignored for so long!

• 1 month later...

The lack of a story editor in V2 is very disappointing. I have used the one in InDesign - when a professional editor is working with a graphic designer in Affiinity Publisher it could enable the editor to correct minor errors (overlooked in copyediting the original text, or sometimes introduced by the graphic designer) instead of having to ask the graphic designer to fix them. InDesign was not affordable by most freelance editors but Publisher changes all that. It would enable collaboration between authors, editors and designers right up to the end of the process without workarounds that involve exporting PDFs and then copying requested changes back into the designed document manually.

• 5 months later...

still no text editor and none in sight.  hopefully if we ever get scripting support, one of us can develop it.  as someone who works with long form text, it cannot arrive quickly enough.

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - i7, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Server: Mac Mini 2014 - i5, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape