You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I love the first version but...

I've been testing the app since the first beta, bought it as soon as it became available but there are still couple of things I would like improved:

1. Using Hand tool while inside text frame? ID allows the hand to be active with ALT key, because you cannot obviously use H or Space bar while inside text frame
  2. The scope of the F&R panel? Is it full document by default, currently selected frame etc?
  3. Picture frames - this one is really confusing for long time InDesign user. You can import an image without picture frame - but you cannot crop it - it will resize as you resize handles. You can place image inside picture frame but it will scale along with the frame by default. Anybody who uses ID will use modifier key(s) to resize both frame and photo, but the default action is just cropping the photo inside the frame without changing it size. You can do it if you double click on the image inside and do some transformations. Then the photo does not scale nor moves along with the frame.

I remember when ID version 1 came out - it was nowhere close the features we've received yesterday so I'm really looking forward the future of Affinity apps and will definitely support further development.

I've seen other people mentioned features such as footnotes, mail merge, span columns - I'd sign my name on those as well and we will probably get then at some stage. It would be nice to get everything at the start but we to show some patience I guess.

1 hour ago, redlik said:

You can import an image without picture frame - but you cannot crop it

You can actually, several different ways:

• There is a dedicated crop tool on the toolbar.
  • You can create a shape that you want to constrain the image to and either drag the layer of the image (on the Layers panel) underneath the shape to make it a child of the shape, or drag the layer of the shape onto the thumbnail of the layer of the image to make it a mask for the image.

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You can actually, several different ways:

• There is a dedicated crop tool on the toolbar.
  • You can create a shape that you want to constrain the image to and either drag the layer of the image (on the Layers panel) underneath the shape to make it a child of the shape, or drag the layer of the shape onto the thumbnail of the layer of the image to make it a mask for the image.

I know there's couple of ways to import the image but the most straightforward for me would be to import into frame and scale frame independently from the image. The crop tool actually crops both the image and the frame so it's not really a solution - it's more a clipping mask then a crop - you can crop a text frame with it and it would "hide" cropped portion.

It's a different approach, not sure if better - just need to get use to it, I guess. 

4 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The premise of those suggestions was that the image was not in a frame, so there would be no frame to crop...

As I said - I need to get use to the fact that images can exists with no frame or the text can live outside text frame. Hard to drop 20-year old habits in one day :)

7 hours ago, redlik said:

Using Hand tool while inside text frame?

+1 … very important …

7 hours ago, redlik said:

The scope of the F&R panel?

It is the entire document by default. The scope cannot currently be narrowed down to a story … or just to the footnotes … ;)

You can use mouse middle button as a hand tool even when you're in a text frame, but it's actually better since you have to press only one key and not two. 

After you place an image, you can convert it to a frame picture (check toolbar or right mouse click menu). The frame picture has a lot of features to control both the image and the frame so easily once you figure it out.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:00 PM, JaneE said:

That's definitely helpful for anyone with a mouse, though not everyone uses one.

Not sure what you are using, but with the pen on my Wacom tablet, the side buttons are assigned to the right-click and middle-click actions.  Using the middle-click button gives me hand tool behavior with the pen.  The button assignments can be overridden on a per-application basis as needed.  With the newer wacom tablets the scroll action can also be assigned to two-finger drag on the tablet (without using the pen) and eliminates the need for the tool completely.  Some trackpads have a similar feature in which a two-finger drag can be set up to scroll.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:37 PM, JaneE said:

Most of the time I just use the touchpad on my MacBook Pro.

You can use the two-finger scroll then... just swipe across the trackpad with two fingers to scroll instead of moving the mouse pointer.  You might need to enable that in preferences but it is a standard feature.

• 6 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:46 PM, toutou123 said:

You can use mouse middle button as a hand tool even when you're in a text frame, but it's actually better since you have to press only one key and not two. 

Very helpful. Would be even better if it were mentioned somewhere. In the Help, the only mention is, under Tools options:

• Choose whether the middle mouse button will allow scrolling or zooming.

'scrolling' is not the same as View Tool. Also, would it be possible to show the Hand cursor while the middle mouse button is pressed, to make it clear what is going on?