46 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Also, they promised that the ones I put a red note to, will be in the free updates.

I want to believe. My guess is that there will be two more rounds of free major updates and then all apps will have their v2 announcement simultaniously. I'm pretty exited about the mesh distort.

20 hours ago, fjulian79 said:

Well I know there is inkscape .. but have you ever tried it yourself on a Mac? .. there are issues with MacOs so it is not available straight away .. you have to install this and that and after some time wehen you got it up and running its not performing well .. so I decided for me that Inkscape is no option als long it is in this state. 

Do you mean installing GTK library? In windows that's just a simple install, is not like you are asked to do a linux 'make', or compile anything. I strongly doubt is any more complex than that. And u gotta have at least some rough corner for getting that valuable stuff for free. After all, is just a conversion what is needed here, as yeah, in windows it has its crashes from time to time, but all which I found, are easily recognized, u see what causes it, and u avoid that, and report the bug. The uglyness of the UI, workflow, and performance am told are the same than in Windows, you maybe just notice the difference with other mac apps(it's very different to windows apps, too!), specially paid ones. Typically never an obstacle, I've sent many files for 3d print and cutting, no issues. Yes, I'd understand the comfort of working in AD better, but then the inky open and export step is just a finalizing tiny thingy.

My solution is my old windows laptop with my CorelDraw license installed .. but honestly .. it's a shame that on MacOs (which is used by all those fancy creative people) PS is more or less the only reliable and smooth tool.

But...wait a second... PS is not for vectors, not for dxf or svg... I mean, yep, you can open a svg, but to work it as raster, not the matter on focus....  oh, you meant creative software in general... I'd disagree...there's quite some awesome reliable and good mac software for 2D works, audio and video. I quite prefer the larger variety in Windows, tho, main reason I use it  -and hardware's price/flexibility-...

And then there is serif with the designer .. the app recommended in App Store by apple .. the super trooper vector tool for 50 BUCKS ;-) .. and there is no dxf support .. but hey .. you can file a feature request :46_confounded::47_tired_face::57_cry::51_scream::61_sob:>:(

I could say that of 'you get what you paid for', as how can one expect a porsche for 50 bucks, but here it'd be super unfair, as you got a lot more than what you paid for. What defines a tool as being good, has never ever been counting with more or less export formats, providing there are converters. If there'd be no human way to convert 'em, I'd agree, but is not like you have to -which you have in many, many professional workflows, in CAD, regular 3D, 2D including video editing, etc, I've lived that-  purchase an expensive converter -and I can remember a bunch that were considered a must in every company even already having the full set of Autodesk and Adobe- , it is that you can perfectly convert it for free (I suggested Inkscape and Blender, as are free and more than converters, you can do further editing, in 3D or 2D, but there are many converters)

But now as there is Corel back on macOS I feel hope again .. maybe there is a cheap home version some day. 

I mean, everything can happen, but I have followed Corel's pricings for a very long time now, so, I would not hope for much there. Not in Windows, but even less when moving to the MAC world, where everyone and their dog expect that folk to be ready to pay more than in Windows and Linux OSes. And I am not saying it for stuff like the 1k for a stand in the MAC PRO, but in general.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

I have have tried Inkscape on my Mac .. and yes its not impossible .. you have to install some stuff by using homebrew as far I can remember .. but that's not the way Apps should be installed on a Mac. And then the ui is pretty bad, it can't deal with scaling fonts and so on. Finally you you have a really bad day using it on a 4K Monitor. And I said .. "so I decided for me" .. not that it's not possible in general.

Regarding offers .. I payed approximately 60€ for my Corel Suite on Amazon! See what you get there for your money and don't tell things abut expectations! You get Draw with the ability to OPEN and SAVE in almost every Format AND Photo-Paint on top.

I'm Unwatching this thread now as I consider it currently as useless. It has been about introducing dxf support to AD and it can be assumed that this will not happen in the near future!

br and don't wast your time on things you can't change ;-)
J.

OK, I tried reading 7 pages of arguing... but I just ran into an issue and I need to import .dxf files. So my question is, "Is this a legitimate future update for Designer, or am I going to have to keep Illustrator longer?"

Ya know, us professionals do need to communicate with other professionals from time to time, and hardly anybody has Designer, and I'm betting ZERO companies use Designer to run CNC machines with. So far, I've managed a workaround with my own "In-House" CNC solution through Designer using SVG export, after a lot of tweaking and trial and error. BUT... if a client sends me a .dxf/.dwg I'm S.O.L. unless I have a companion program. But scaling ends up being all screwed up, nothing works properly and my computer acts funny after I launch InkScape. So, that's not going to happen again.

And vice versa... if I need to send a file to be cut on a big industrial laser machine, they can't take my SVGs. They want .dxf or they charge me $120 to mess with my files. So DXF import/export anytime soon?

10 hours ago, EcoMouse said:

OK, I tried reading 7 pages of arguing... but I just ran into an issue and I need to import .dxf files. So my question is, "Is this a legitimate future update for Designer, or am I going to have to keep Illustrator longer?"

Ya know, us professionals do need to communicate with other professionals from time to time, and hardly anybody has Designer, and I'm betting ZERO companies use Designer to run CNC machines with. So far, I've managed a workaround with my own "In-House" CNC solution through Designer using SVG export, after a lot of tweaking and trial and error. BUT... if a client sends me a .dxf/.dwg I'm S.O.L. unless I have a companion program. But scaling ends up being all screwed up, nothing works properly and my computer acts funny after I launch InkScape. So, that's not going to happen again.

And vice versa... if I need to send a file to be cut on a big industrial laser machine, they can't take my SVGs. They want .dxf or they charge me $120 to mess with my files. So DXF import/export anytime soon?

But, the question still occur; why do you and every other Pro-user of DFX here use Affinity Designer when it fails to do the job?

Why trust a 40-50 bucks app (although really good) for this kind of work?

Just now you and your DXF-friends have to rely on Illustrator or Corel Draw... No one here knows when it´s coming to Designer, but...

20 minutes ago, haakoo said:

That’s a really cool site. I’ve not seen it before. However, I don’t think it’s going to do what people here want. Looking at the DXF options, they all appear to be bitmap conversion formats. Unsure about PDF as it can be both but given all the others are bitmap I’m guessing it will be as well.

AA8FD678-D74D-4F68-B0DA-926A3763F224.jpeg

Hi all !

I'm just adding my voice for this feature :D It would be very useful.  But like others pointed out, there are many features to add to Designer and it's impossible to add everything at the same time :D

On 8/5/2019 at 11:08 PM, haakoo said:

Thanks for sharing the link ;) I used this website in the past and it works great!

Zamzar can't convert SVG to DXF. (in their inherent nature, SVGs are more reliable than PDFs) Which zamzar could convert a PDF created from Designer to a DXF. But how the file reads in a CAD/CAM program is anyone's guess. I've already encountered major PDF issues from Publisher. (The files end up larger by an order of magnitude, compared to an identical PDF export from InDesign, plus the color shift problems) There seems to be some issues with whatever PDF export engine that Serif is using. It's definitely non-standard. That being said, for now, I'll stay away from native file format to PDF to DXF export hoop jump.

On 8/5/2019 at 12:54 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

But, the question still occur; why do you and every other Pro-user of DFX here use Affinity Designer when it fails to do the job?

Because the simple fact that Serif exists as a stand up company with business integrity. And we choose to vote with our wallets and no longer support a leechy, blood sucking, greedy corporation that hates it's users, but loves the money. (adobe)

Also, it's not unreasonable for some home user to want to cut out a vector shape on their vinyl plotter. That's not really considered "pro level" equipment anymore. The barrier to entry is literally a Chinese eBay model or a CriCUT. But all of them operated on some form of simplified g-code or HGPL language. Which can all interpret DXF/DWG file formats without much fuss. Hell, even laser cutting and water jet cutting are making in-roads to home users with super popular products like GlowForge and Wazer. Having DXF support at this point is a no-brainer.

Now this is where Illustrator gets bad marks from me. While it's technically a vector drawing based program, Adobe has somehow hamstrung it's arc segment algorithm to be purposely non-standard. There's a marker somewhere within their lines of code that says not to play nicely with standardized CAD math. I don't know what it is exactly, but it's there. For instance when you draw a circle, you should get 4 nodes, 4 arc segments. Illustrator has thought it would be funny, that if upon export to DWG/DXF that it would break up those 4 arc segments into 100 individual, non connecting poly splines. This becomes a problem when an output machine, like the vinyl plotter mentioned above, tries to plot a smooth arc, but instead gets commands to make short jerky straight lines. So instead of a perfect circle, you get a Centagon.

Here's where I think Affinity Designer is going down the right path. They honor nodes and segments and it's true vector math. At this point, adding a DXF export engine seems like it should be as easy as buying a module and plugging it in to the back end and it's just there upon a new release. I'd be willing to wager, that IF they decided to make it an optional plug-in for purchase, just to see if people would want that integrated, that many would buy it and use it. We all realize just how popular InkScape has gotten over the years for people looking for a free alternative to Corel and Illustrator. Just think, how much money Serif could be raking in, if they offered a similar level of functionality, but with fewer bugs and quirks.

8 hours ago, EcoMouse said:

For instance when you draw a circle, you should get 4 nodes, 4 arc segments. Illustrator has thought it would be funny, that if upon export to DWG/DXF that it would break up those 4 arc segments into 100 individual, non connecting poly spline

Not saying it should be your workflow or anything like that, in Illustrator, but, have you tried "converting to curves" the circle instead of leaving it as "shape" ? (one could also select all and hit that thing)  It might be the case that then the export that seems you were be using (illustrator) could -maybe- behave differently (perhaps for a better output). Anyway, is just a curiosity of mine. 

(BTW, PDF works great for me for vector works, non CAD related...also SVG does well for 3D in my work (again, non  CAD))

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

10 hours ago, SrPx said:

Not saying it should be your workflow or anything like that, in Illustrator, but, have you tried "converting to curves" the circle instead of leaving it as "shape" ?

I'm not sure what version of Illustrator you are familiar with, but I don't have "convert to curves" anywhere. I do have under Effects: Convert to Shape and that's a no-no. When I draw a circle, I get four Bezier curve vector arcs and 4 nodes correctly. The issue is with their built in AutoCAD Export DXF/DWG functions. It's so much so a problem, that there are literally 3rd party export function solution plug-ins. I've demo'd a couple. One is particularly better than the others.

http://www.baby-universe.co.jp/ja/plug-in/

Take a close look at the plug-ins they offer and WHY, then you'll start to see where Illustrator's "professional" credibility is lacking as well. So much so that third-party developers have to come up with solutions and have you side load them, as they aren't officially available through Adobe's plug-in website.

Things like being able to run a plotter directly, (like you can from Corel). Object Correlation, Connecting Adjacent Paths, Node Clean-Up, Calling Out Dimensions in Technical Drawings... etc.

Here's my test for a new vector program, to see if I can use it in my workflow. It's kind of a shit-test for the export file type and how it handles curves, arcs, segments etc. I draw a circle and see if I can export it and am I able to cut it out accurately on a vinyl plotter. Surprisingly, there's quite a few apps that are vector drawing based, but on the iPad that can actually do this. Imagine my surprise! But I'll know that if the program can handle that "simple" task, I can also be assured that I can create a file that can also be cut on a CNC Router or Laser. (most of the time)

19 hours ago, EcoMouse said:

There seems to be some issues with whatever PDF export engine that Serif is using. It's definitely non-standard.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to describe PDFlib as “non-standard”.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to describe PDFlib as “non-standard”.

Definitely not, but the Affinity version 9.1.2 is from 2/2018, in the meantime (2/2019) 9.20 was released. Perhaps some PDF problem might have been solved in the meantime?

On 8/9/2019 at 12:49 AM, Alfred said:

I output a multi-page document, with text, pictures, embedded shapes (vectors) etc., from InDesign the file was 4.8mb after a standard pdf output conversion. Made the same document in Publisher, created from scratch, using Affinity's tool set, import function etc. The file could not be saved any smaller than 28mb no matter how many settings I changed. And every single one rasterized vector objects. (which is what I suspected to be one of the culprits for increased file size) Also rasterized all text except for a few words here and there, and seemingly some fonts as well. Not to mention all the colors were shifted horribly out of gamut and I could not get a client approval just based on color space not being honored upon export. So it's not "print ready output" and therefore whatever you think PDFlib is, it ain't industry standard as far as print output goes. I get it, Adobe created these segments, color spaces, and even Post Script. So there might be some processes that are proprietary to them that other programs just can't implement. Like have you ever tried to work with Microsoft Publisher files? What a joke.

I’m pulling my hair out because of this now...

I’m on Ipad Pro and I’m trying to export the designs to shapr3D for imprinting text on a 3D model I’m going to 3Dprint. But as many others here it only comes out 1/10th of the size I made it in Affinity Designer....Is there still no good solution for this?

7 hours ago, EcoMouse said:

I output a multi-page document, with text, pictures, embedded shapes (vectors) etc., from InDesign the file was 4.8mb after a standard pdf output conversion. Made the same document in Publisher, created from scratch, using Affinity's tool set, import function etc. The file could not be saved any smaller than 28mb no matter how many settings I changed. And every single one rasterized vector objects. (which is what I suspected to be one of the culprits for increased file size) Also rasterized all text except for a few words here and there, and seemingly some fonts as well. Not to mention all the colors were shifted horribly out of gamut and I could not get a client approval just based on color space not being honored upon export. So it's not "print ready output" and therefore whatever you think PDFlib is, it ain't industry standard as far as print output goes. I get it, Adobe created these segments, color spaces, and even Post Script. So there might be some processes that are proprietary to them that other programs just can't implement. Like have you ever tried to work with Microsoft Publisher files? What a joke.

Only a fast question.  Did you hit the "More" button in the PDF export dialog, so to set it to (for example) export as PDF/X-4 (or whatever the PDF/X specification your print company/software allows or requires, to ensure a safer print) and mostly to tell it to rasterize "nothing" ? In my experience it wont, it does respect vectors, if you set it so. And surely then the file would be much lighter. I'm often sending vector works (PDF/X-4 and 3) to print with Affinity Designer's export, no issue (logos, general designs, etc). I set every single setting there after hitting the "more button", though (well, with any format).

Colors... in "document setup" (and/or having done so when creating the "new document"), I set the color mode and profile, and at the end I export with the profile to be embedded. I am not experiencing any color shift issues in the PDFs exported (neither with other formats) . So, despite whatever the library they use, with good settings, it works quite well in the very varied projects I've used (there are other known issues, tho. Haven't been an obstacle in my work, anyway). I work in graphic design (DTP)  and illustration, not CAD (only related stuff I do is 3D printing miniatures, game dices or SVG designs for 'em to be imported in Blender 3D... renders of varied nature, etc. All that is working, here.)

I have needed to deal with MS Publisher files (clients, sigh). But I don't want to remember the experience. 

Anyone have any tips on the ipad version how to best create, export and convert to DXF and get the corect messurments?

Someone mentioned to make the drawing in pixels (aka 100pixels for 100mm) and then export as svg and tekst edit the file from px to mm? 

Again I´m on ipad so I use an online SVG to DXF converter.