You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could DXF export be added as a export option. I sometimes have have to send my designs to a CNC and vinyl cutting shop. There preferred format is DXF. It would be great not to have to import my design into cad program before sending it them. I currently use this feature in illustrator and it works nicely.

Oooo....this would be a nice feature to have. .dxf is also the format used by water jetting and laser profiling machines. Could be useful.....

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm using AD for my freelance design work but 9-5 I'm in the sign industry using a combination of Illustrator and FlexiSign. Would love to look at moving our design and setup for print and CNC/Laser to AD some time to consolidate and streamline the workflow.

Short story, DXF export (plus the pro print tools) would be the icing on the cake. 

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry to hear about the lack of DXF support, as the only reason I bought Affinity Designer was to create vector layouts for a laser engraver.  The workaround is to convert SVG to DXF, which is a pain in the butt for my workflow, but at least I don't have to deal with Illustrator.  

If you're counting requests, here's another one for DXF export!

Yes please, essential to me too. I bought designer expecting this would be an obvious basic feature. We are a multi-dis design and fabrication studio deeding to output DXF for laser cutting, CNC, waterjet etc, and this could take over as the master software with this one feature.

I also work regularly with 50 or so companies who would gladly switch from Adobe to Affinity if they supported this feature.

Same must be the case in every design community all over the world.

Here's hoping...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I should have read the documentation more closely, but DXF output is the only reason I purchased a vector drawing program like Affinity Designer in the first place.  The fact that it doesn't support DXF output makes it useless and I will not be buying it for the rest of my team.  Too bad...   

• 2 months later...

is there a time frame for dxf support, I notice this topic has been running for the last couple of years. Not really confidence inspiring. I have used the trial version which I loved, but without dxf support it becomes very limiting. Would buy if I knew support was in the pipeline.

• Staff

@djmcd0

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

DXF export is not on the Affinity Designer roadmap, but you have done the right thing by bumping this thread, that the head of development posted to, over 3 years ago saying

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2014 at 8:52 AM, TonyB said:

We will add support for additional file formats over time and DXF is a good candidate.

Many thanks,

TonyB.

For now you could export in a vector format like SVG and convert that. May I ask what software you require DXF files for please, or is it to deliver to clients?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Most laser cutters using old versions of CorelDraw 8 - X4.  New CoreDraw Versions are very expensive and user don´t want do spent money in newer versions. Exporting into DXF could be a (nice) niche market for upcoming laser cutting systems.  Google: laser cutter and Coreldraw

If my customers need laser cuts, i still have to use CorelDraw. 

Btw.  All big Lasercutter eg. TRUMPF  using DXF als import file, if I have to draw technical casings !!!

Of course most engineers take AutoCAD and so on, but simple 2D constructions are easier to draw with CorelDraw and export to DXF.
 https://www.trumpf.com/en_SE/products/machines-systems/

In add. a simple contour  just drawn with CorelDraw AND dimensions in an extra layer.

The export DXF I can transfer to the laser cutter .....  :)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-17 um 07.17.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-17 um 07.16.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-17 um 07.15.57.png

Kontur.dxf

MacBook Pro, iMac, Sierra 10.12.6

500px.com/maxxxworld

www.instagram.com/markus_linner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It'd be a nice addition. Has anyone tried svg --> Blender ---> dxf ? I say as numerous times I've gone in the past making my thing  in Inkscape (b4 having Designer), export as SVG, importing the silhouette in blender, then (extruding or not, etc) rendering or if needed exported as dxf (once for a game engine...don't ask...), obj, etc . But not sure if the laser cutters take that (funnily enough, am very close friend of someone having a small laser cutting business, never asked her about this tho.)

Am fine to make the test (ie, providing a dxf from your svg) with my blender 2.79....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.