You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Rhyswoos,

There is no way to flow tables from one page to another at the moment I'm afraid. You would have to use 2 tables if you wanted to create this effect. This has been requested in the past during the apps beta so its something we might consider for a future update :)

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

May I add my request for this, flowing tables, and also convert text to table. So far I have been very impressed and pleasantly surprised with the finished Publisher and have been able to reproduce most of a monthly magazine of 48 pages without too much effort.

BUT, and it is a very big but, the reason I will still be using InDesign is the inability to flow tables. Here is a real world example: In the centre of the 48 page magazine is a 3 to 4 page calendar which is sent to me as a table in Word. Yesterday the editor sent me a revision, asking for two extra items to be inserted near the front of the calendar. I inserted them in InDesign and the rows flowed across the other pages - job done. With Publisher, I would have to delete the bottom two rows of the first page and add them and their content to the top of the next page, and so on through all the pages. Not only time consuming but very prone to error.

So this is a real biggy for me, and I suspect many real world users, and I am very disappointed that you are only saying "might consider it"

Perhaps you might reconsider your approach to this? So much is good about this programme, and I have several not-for-profit organisations waiting for me to help them set up their magazines so they can publish them themselves, but I can't, alas, recommend AP just yet.

I, too, beg you to consider this. I do a lot of technical certification reports with tables that spread on multiple pages. I'm gonna use Publisher for as much of this works as I can, but some table heavy ones must remain on InDesign only because of this single subject.

Also, I tried placing a table as an inline object and yes, the table aligns it's bottom (And only the bottom) with the insertion point, but it not adjust the text under it.

I think that, as the object/flow/insert workflow on Publisher goes, the right way to work could be something as this:

• Place a table and adjust it as in-line object
  • Option to align the top of the table/object with the insertion point (Now it aligns only with bottom of object, and you usually want to go down when adding new rows.)
  • Option to allow the in-line table to adjust and flow the text behind (Now there is no apparent way and in-line objects cover the text under it as you can't adjust and be in-line at same time)
  • And finally, if in-line table reach the limits of the text frame, continue following rows on next page.

I know, I know, it is easy to do in my user mind that what really it cost to implement, but I think this is really a must.

I trust you.

Well. After much trying and testing, I'm sad that, despite how much I love Publisher, the first to works I have half-made on it have to go back and be remade on InDesign. Simply for table managing. All other features had worked superb, but not having tables reflowing is a nightmare.

First, it forces me to do tables once all elements and layout have been set, because you need to know where things start and end on the layout to split tables

Second, is a nightmare to add multiple pages tables, because you have to be segmenting them, and this is slow error-prone procedure.

And third, and worst, a simply correction or change sends layout to go nuts.Each time you do some change or correction you need to review all tables for cropped or misplaced rows.

Documents like those two mentioned, with tables that spread for 15 pages, are simply a no-go on Publisher. Yes, it could be done, but is not profitable and customer will not pay for the extra time and risk. A single three page spread table has take me around one hour more than on indesign, due to continuos layout adjustments on each tiny correction made on the previous content.

Looking forward to when tables have the basic flowing that other apps have since years ago. Will use Publisher for works with no table or single page tables (Half of my work)

Still love Publisher, and will use it a lot, but for a time this will be an open relation with InDesign. Mpppfff.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Slight correction:

23 hours ago, Marcofernandess said:

Without this basic feature, it is not possible for me to work in Publisher.

I made a lot of projects since APu came out, I am using Indesign only for forms and projects I am too lazy to convert right now. But you are right, table continuation would be a nice feature (among other features I am missing), making work faster in some use cases.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed