You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workspace customization improvements

Workspace customization is currently difficult and laborious. 

Feature request 1: Workspace saving | Now  if I want to save workspaces, they must be copied from system files.  Also i hate to lose my workspace setup after updating software.  1.5, 1.6 and now 1.7.  

Feature request 2: Workspace customization improvements | Now moving tool tabs and setting up custom workspace is very frustrating. Many times elements just can't snap into desired location or snapping area is very odd.

Feature request 3: Workspace reset to saved workspace

• 1 month later...

Worst than that is when we use a beta version it will lose all my customised workspace.

We need  a workspace manager.

Other issue I am finding is with add-ons, new application version, new add-ons installations. 

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

23 minutes ago, DesignT said:

Worst than that is when we use a beta version it will lose all my customised workspace. 

We need  a workspace manager.

Other issue I am finding is with add-ons, new application version, new add-ons installatio

The customizations for the beta and retail versions are intentionally kept separate, to avoid breaking the retail version as new function is introduced in the beta.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I really can't believe that it would be that difficult to add an option to save and load custom work spaces. The information must already be stored somewhere, surely it's just a case of accessing it?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, gabriel_komorov said:

Well that´s not a solution for me I am with Mac OS.

Thanks anyway

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

On 8/2/2019 at 9:23 AM, PaulEC said:

I really can't believe that it would be that difficult to add an option to save and load custom work spaces. The information must already be stored somewhere, surely it's just a case of accessing it?

If Serif support tell us witch files we need to backup, macOS users could simple create a incremental backup with this amazing backup tool.

https://robdutoitsoftware.com/backuplist

Is there any specific file or directory that we need to backup ?

Thanks

This is a long-standing request from many users. It is perplexing that such a standard (and one would think, simple to implement) feature would be ignored for so long. As user @Samoreen said on another thread:

On 11/27/2017 at 9:14 PM, Samoreen said:

With all due respect, I guess that you will always have something to do that has higher priority than the implementation of the workspace feature (although it has been requested since a long time). … The net result is that problems listed at the bottom of the priority list are never fixed as long as the maintenance team works with a top down approach, At least one developer from the team should work bottom up to give such problems a chance to be fixed OR the time the problem has been listed should be taken into account to increase the priority level.

Anyway, all serious applications using multiple tool windows that I'm aware of implement a workspace saving mechanism. It's easy to program and wouldn't take much time.

These kind of issue serves to illustrate my love-hate relationship with Affinity products. I absolutely LOVE that we have a very real alternative to Adobe products. The tools are powerful, and in many areas they shine brighter than Adobe's tired old offerings. On the other hand, some basic usability issues seem to hang about forever. It drive me nuts at times.

Take 'Separated Mode' for example as discussed in this thread. In Affinity apps, basic window management commands (like maximise) completely ignore the location of toolbars and studio panels, making for a pretty frustrating experience!

• 6 months later...

Are there any news on this topic?
I'm annoyed by the lack of a window manager - I also work with two monitors: the working window on the left and the panels on the right.
Sometimes I only work on the MacBook and I need a different set of panels.

I miss the functionality Photoshop offers.
This is frankly the reason why I still work with Photoshop.