You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Templates for Affinity Publisher like InDesign

File > New > Templates

Instead of selecting from the default presets, click Templates, as shown below:

2021-02-21_20-43-32.png.fce8c9aad9e75680e845e842729349fa.png

I haven't worked with templates yet, so I'm not sure how much flexibility you have with where they're stored once downloaded.

Edited by GaryLearnTech
Added final text line

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

32 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

@biz_kid1 If you have upgraded to the latest v1.9 of Publisher and register your account, you get three substantial templates for free and which can be downloaded straight into the software.  

According to the recent Spotlight post:

• Affinity Publisher for desktop: Three professional, editable and print-ready templates, including a cookbook template by Occy Design, Gradient magazine template by Luuqas Design and Brill photography portfolio by Flowless. Each is provided in US Letter and A4 paper sizes. Worth (US)$82.

Yes, I have that option now, but at the time I originally posted this, it wasn't an option.  Thanks!

Ah, I see now that you had substantially earlier posts, on the first page of this thread - sorry.  I was responding to your post from earlier this evening.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Welcome to the forums @lalelou

Did you have any templates before you upgraded?
If not, then the Templates section will be empty as Publisher does not come with any templates; it only comes with the Presets.
You need to either make your own templates or add someone else’s templates.
You can download some free sample templates via the My Account window (top-right icon of the Toolbar).

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, AnnM said:

How to use this Cookbook Template? 

cookbook.rtf 7.61 MB · 0 downloads

I'm not sure I understand the question. Your .rtf file shows that you've Opened it in Publisher. After that you just fill in your own data.

For more suggestions, we would need to have the actual file, not just a picture of it.

Also: It's helpful when you want us to look at a picture to just paste a screenshot into your post. If you embed it in another type of file, such as RTF, and attach that file, then we have to download it and Open it. If you just paste the JPG or PNG file into your post then we can view it here directly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/26/2021 at 5:00 AM, lalelou said:

Hello from Germany,

I upgraded to 1.9. but the template are not visible. The "templates" area is totally empty. 

Does anyone know what I can do?

Thank you in advance.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-26 um 11.59.46.png

Can't tell, but are you logged in to your Affinity account?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure I understand the question. Your .rtf file shows that you've Opened it in Publisher. After that you just fill in your own data.

For more suggestions, we would need to have the actual file, not just a picture of it.

Also: It's helpful when you want us to look at a picture to just paste a screenshot into your post. If you embed it in another type of file, such as RTF, and attach that file, then we have to download it and Open it. If you just paste the JPG or PNG file into your post then we can view it here directly.

Hi Walt

Can You tell/write/show me how this file should be opened?

I can't open this file in any programme (affinity one)....

or point me where to search 

Thank You in advance

Ann

19 minutes ago, AnnM said:

Hi Walt

Can You tell/write/show me how this file should be opened?

I can't open this file in any programme (affinity one)....

or point me where to search 

Thank You in advance

Ann

Ohhh I got it.  I have opened it - but still don't understand the idea of using it :). Need to think haha.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to comment in this thread. This forum has been invaluable as an 'information/how to' resource since I downloaded the trial (then bought the full program) about 10 days ago. I'd been trying to design my 120 pp photo travel book (of my photographic travels through 9 Asian countries, and also 3 'Zines' on aspects of my adopted 'home' city of Shanghai) on Canva. The free version of which is far too limiting for large projects whilst the full version is far too expensive since it costs double AP and also has a recurring annual fee) all whilst having far fewer features. I also wanted to support Affinity if possible (I have Photo too, though mostly use other programs except on an iPad where Affinity Photo is excellent) and their price point encourages that.

OK enough intro. The story goes like this : I bought the program and then was also surprised and dismayed to discover that no templates were included. Frankly the three provided in the current offer are far too basic for my use, though maybe useful for some as a starting point.
So after watching a number of videos on how to produce Masters, and then creating contact sheets (see sample attached -  I created four of these) to use as design inspiration, I created 8 Masters (and will likely add more) that are working great (attached below, some with just sample text in the Text Boxes), note I've added images so that each Master layout is easier for me to recognise, it's easy to swap out the images for new ones.

I do have two issues however, I wish that ;
a) that the Master had an 'exclude pages' in the Apply to Pages dialogue box so I could apply to the majority but exclude those I don't want it used on (maybe there is a simple way to do this and I'm missing it) and ;
b) I could apply a newly created Master to a page already designed without removing the images and text (so I could then re-assign them to the new elements) though I guess I'm just being lazy and could create a new facing pages spread and just copy/drag the text / images to it. 

I hope this story inspires others to dive into 'Master Pages' creation. It really isn't that difficult and took me less than one evening, as an AP newbie, (but is easy now that I've learnt how and will save me a huge amount of time going forward) to design my photo travel book templates from the designs I found online (I searched with Google and then clicked Images). Not only will I use these for my book but I'll also add them as a number of double pages to Envato or similar for sale at very low cost, so the time put into developing them also becomes a (very small) source of income but helps to fund my books. As a freelance photographer it is important to maximise potential income.

BOOK DESIGN CONTACT SHEET C.jpg

AP Masters.png

Edited by The Dragons Father

Welcome to the forums @The Dragons Father

3 hours ago, The Dragons Father said:

a) that the Master had an 'exclude pages' in the Apply to Pages dialogue box so I could apply to the majority but exclude those I don't want it used on (maybe there is a simple way to do this and I'm missing it) and ;

You can select – via the Pages Panel – which pages you want to apply a master page to before applying the master page. Is that what you want to do or do you need something different?

3 hours ago, The Dragons Father said:

b) I could apply a newly created Master to a page already designed without removing the images and text (so I could then re-assign them to the new elements) though I guess I'm just being lazy and could create a new facing pages spread and just copy/drag the text / images to it. 

Publisher has something called Smart Master Pages which let you apply a master page – replacing an existing master page – and the contents of the layers of the new master page will automatically ‘suck in’ the contents of layers of the original master page if the layers have the same name on both the original master page and the new master page. You might want to have a look at that, see link:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/390003719/

P.S. Those are some nice-looking mock-ups. You might want to think about showing them off in the “Share Your Work” section where they will get more views.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @The Dragons Father

You can select – via the Pages Panel – which pages you want to apply a master page to before applying the master page. Is that what you want to do or do you need something different?

Publisher has something called Smart Master Pages which let you apply a master page – replacing an existing master page – and the contents of the layers of the new master page will automatically ‘suck in’ the contents of layers of the original master page if the layers have the same name on both the original master page and the new master page. You might want to have a look at that, see link:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/390003719/

P.S. Those are some nice-looking mock-ups. You might want to think about showing them off in the “Share Your Work” section where they will get more views.

Thanks Garry.

a) Is there a way of applying a Master in bulk to disparate pages (without having to go through them one by one, 120 pp is a lot!) ? If I use the Master to apply it's as mentioned above, if I go to Pages then I have to do it page by page as there is no bulk option. Is that correct or have I missed something (highly likely!) ?

b) Excellent - thanks ! That is going to work just fine :)

Edited by The Dragons Father

You can select a page in the pages panel
Right Click then select 'Apply Masters'...it will take you to another panel with extra options

masters.jpg

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

17 hours ago, StuartRc said:

You can select a page in the pages panel
Right Click then select 'Apply Masters'...it will take you to another panel with extra options

masters.jpg

Cheers Stuart. Yes I've seen that but with 120 pp in this book using the 'Specified' is going to take a long time and I was just looking for a short cut - such as an exclusion rather than an inclusion. e.g. if I wanted to exclude 30-40, not always consecutive, pages.

5 hours ago, The Dragons Father said:

Cheers Stuart. Yes I've seen that but with 120 pp in this book using the 'Specified' is going to take a long time and I was just looking for a short cut - such as an exclusion rather than an inclusion. e.g. if I wanted to exclude 30-40, not always consecutive, pages.

Hi, I was playing around with this using a smartMasters test file today..and the apply Masters.... Options box...You can actually do what you are asking...with comma separated values added to the specified pages input field so{1, 10, 20 ...n} should populate each specific page....Combine this with smartMasters (requires structured configuration of image boxes) = a powerful replacement method..

I did get a crash doing this.....just trying to find the cause! 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

20 hours ago, StuartRc said:

Hi, I was playing around with this using a smartMasters test file today..and the apply Masters.... Options box...You can actually do what you are asking...with comma separated values added to the specified pages input field so{1, 10, 20 ...n} should populate each specific page....Combine this with smartMasters (requires structured configuration of image boxes) = a powerful replacement method..

I did get a crash doing this.....just trying to find the cause! 

Thanks for being the white mouse ! I'll give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a discussion with a friend who has indesign and they offer loads, I think this is an area affinity need to get into, I totally agree with all your comments. Unless you are a wizz in these things you need this help, I have really benefitted from templates in web software and its been wonderful. I am seriously thinking of finding a away to get indesign so I can have this advantage. Lets hope they offer this soon. warm wishes everyone 

• 9 months later...

I've used Affinity Photo for years and absolutely love it. I recommend it to everybody using Adobe. I am, however, extremely disappointed with Publisher. I can't believe there aren't any templates for brochures, flyers, etc. This is a horrible omission by Affinity.

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 7:16 AM, Fixx said:

Damn, you RIGHT! I also have templates in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Templates/InDesign! Never saw them. ....actually, they are not in much demand, as designers tend to set up documents as needed.

But of course it would be nice to have templates download section available in HELP & SUPPORT section in affinity website.

Yes, that would be helpful.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

I would assume, that Publisher is pushing rather master pages than templates. Basically, it looks like master pages are "templates" in the Publisher flow, but only within one file. As for me, I would rather have the possibility to use/move master pages between different files — a kind of a "library for all master pages I've created.