You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Templates for Affinity Publisher like InDesign

28 minutes ago, AlanPC said:

Feels pretty silly to buy this software, then find myself using ancient PagePlus or downloading MICROSOFT WORD templates, in order to publish a simple brochure? 

Offering templates takes away nothing from those that want a blank screen and freedom but would make a huge difference to people like me

Hello @AlanPC,

I can understand that your first contact with APub must have been frustrating. Apart from the missing templates it takes a little learning the new software, too.

It is possible to return a newly purchased licence within 14 days. See this page with a 'returns' email adress on it (unfortunately I was redirected to the german version of the page):
https://store.serif.com/de/help/#returns

This way you can accomplish your job first and give APub another try some time later.
I am sure they will come up with some kind of template system at some time.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, AlanPC said:

That sounded like a great idea but it doesn't work at all. Most of the text appears to be shapes, not editable text. ...

42 minutes ago, AlanPC said:

Here's the example I just played with, if anyone is curious. ...

Then it was exported from PP with text as curves. I don't have that issue if I export text as text.

Serif paid for the template designs. As did Adobe which stopped including templates at CS6 only to much later include templates as part of CC with which the users are paying for them whether they use templates or not.

"I can understand that your first contact with APub must have been frustrating"

I helped as a beta tester and have Affinity Photo, so I'm happy enough to learn the interface, I just don't have time to learn graphic design...

"Then it was exported from PP with text as curves"

Well that's the problem with workarounds... I shouldn't have to figure this stuff out just to use the tool (and I couldn't select photos properly either)

I'm hoping they'll work with the template-selling people and make it easy for them to offer the Affinity Publisher format. That would make everyone happy!

For now I'll take up the refund offer, as I've wasted an evening when I could have been productive. Cheers for the help anyway.

Having purchased quite a number of templates for Serif PagePlus in the past, I must express my disappointment that there is no simple way of using these in Affinity Publisher. Surely some sort of translator could be easily created and provided for your loyal customers, even if it is simply as matter of goodwill.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 8:15 PM, AlanPC said:

Feels pretty silly to buy this software, then find myself using ancient PagePlus or downloading MICROSOFT WORD templates, in order to publish a simple brochure?  

I echo this.

And after getting entire suite applications available from affinity on PC and iPad , I am HUGELY disappointed with the attitude of showing us samples ( I know they are samples and not templates ...so what ) with no editable content ...no other templates ...nothing.

Pls keep the sample also .don't need that generosity.

And someone tells us to export PDF from some program ( why should I buy another program ).

8 minutes ago, Kay P said:

I echo this.

And after getting entire suite applications available from affinity on PC and iPad , I am HUGELY disappointed with the attitude of showing us samples ( I know they are samples and not templates ...so what ) with no editable content ..

The grayed out buttons on save or print is so generous thing to do.

If that peice of intellectual property was so hard to share ... Keep it encrypted on your hard disk in the vault.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am considering creating templates for Affinity Publisher and perhaps their other apps. It would be helpful to get some idea about the following:

• What type of template are you looking for (magazine, brochure, book, etc)? If there are similar InDesign templates to what you want, please share a link.
  • How much would you be willing to pay for a high quality template like you are looking for?

This will help me gauge where to focus my energy.

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel

• Staff

@gleake

Welcome to the serif Affinity forums :)

I m not sure you will get much interest in this thread, as these support forums are not exactly full of people looking for content. You may want to consider posting in some of the Publisher facebook groups, perhaps with a poll of the types you think would be the sort you can make.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 12/9/2019 at 11:03 AM, gleake said:

Hi everyone! I am considering creating templates for Affinity Publisher and perhaps their other apps. It would be helpful to get some idea about the following:

• What type of template are you looking for (magazine, brochure, book, etc)? If there are similar InDesign templates to what you want, please share a link.
  • How much would you be willing to pay for a high quality template like you are looking for?

not sure FB is if any use. 

I would be interested in magazine templates. also brochures. thanks

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

On 12/9/2019 at 3:03 AM, gleake said:

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel

We are also looking for a Newsletter Template.

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

• 1 year later...

I find it quite odd to not include a few basic templates... In any of the Affinity software.

I guess it "might"f help hold down the cost of the software, but I doubt it's that much.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Affinity and own the entire suite, but to start out with a new product without even ONE template is a pretty poor decision...

4 minutes ago, JohnBiondo said:

to start out with a new product without even ONE template is a pretty poor decision...

Personally I have never used any of the Templates supplied with any of the software I have purchased over the years decades. Whenever possible I delete them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

just search on Google for any kind of templates and adapt them to be opened with any Affinity app.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

12 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

just search on Google for any kind of templates and adapt them to be opened with any Affinity app.

Yes, but that only will work for templates that are supplied in .idml format, not those only supplied in .indd or .indt format. Unless one also has ID so those types can be exported to .idml format. 

You can find templates in PDF or even in PSD format, too.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

17 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

You can find templates in PDF or even in PSD format, too.

Yes, but for print projects, one reason to use a template is to speed up the design process. If one uses a PDF, one needs to at least create text styles, move appropriate things to master page(s), page numbering, perhaps create sections, etc. With PSDs, there will be further work needed.

Not that I have any skin in this game (I own all three apps in the suite), and I tend to side with the side that provided templates, at least for me in the past, take more time to tear apart so as to understand; I was just thinking, ... maybe a video on how to create a template would be helpful.  It may take more than one to do it correctly, but if well written with explanations for each step, it could possibly provide more useful information for ongoing future work.  Just a thought.

Hope it helps.

RickyO

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

40 minutes ago, MikeW said:

With PSDs, there will be further work needed.

I found PSD magazine templates with paragraph and character styles added!!! So, you can easilly open them in Publisher and make some adjustments need it.

@biz_kid1 If you have upgraded to the latest v1.9 of Publisher and register your account, you get three substantial templates for free and which can be downloaded straight into the software.  

According to the recent Spotlight post:

• Affinity Publisher for desktop: Three professional, editable and print-ready templates, including a cookbook template by Occy Design, Gradient magazine template by Luuqas Design and Brill photography portfolio by Flowless. Each is provided in US Letter and A4 paper sizes. Worth (US)$82.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

11 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

@biz_kid1 If you have upgraded to the latest v1.9 of Publisher and register your account, you get three substantial templates for free and which can be downloaded straight into the software.  

According to the recent Spotlight post:

• Affinity Publisher for desktop: Three professional, editable and print-ready templates, including a cookbook template by Occy Design, Gradient magazine template by Luuqas Design and Brill photography portfolio by Flowless. Each is provided in US Letter and A4 paper sizes. Worth (US)$82.

I can't find where they are downloaded in my laptop. Is there a way to choose a downloading folder?