You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Templates for Affinity Publisher like InDesign

It will be really great that Affinity Publisher be doted with Templates for different printing works.

For non-graphic (professional) persons  like me... who do so many graphic works, Templates are a blessings. Besides, Serifs products have them and it helps so much.

By the way, I am immensely pleased to have installed the so-much awaited Affinity Publisher yesterday. Congratulations and lots of success.

17 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

but unfortunately there are only 2 templates in the start up panel that are unusable.

Those are sample files to demonstrate what is possible to do with APub and to explore. They are not meant to be templates.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 hours ago, All Media Lab said:

Yes you have a point they are called "samples", that leaves Publisher without any basic starter templates! I bit strange. Even my CS4 Indesign has starter templates.

There are a lot of different page formats to choose from. I admit there are no more elaborate templates. But this has been discussed many times. It is easy to create one own's documents and save them in an extra folder as starting points. Open one and save under a new name.

In regard to the amount of work to do I can understand that this was not part of the initial release. This is even something where the users can support the team by doing this by themselves.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

In regard to the amount of work to do I can understand that this was not part of the initial release. This is even something where the users can support the team by doing this by themselves

Well if you don't want to use preset templates fine for you make them your self, but don't bother people who want them! Many people would be delighted when all common basic design templates are available as a preset. I remember making all the pixel ratio presets in Photo my self, but I was pleasantly surprised that the Affinity team created the pixel ratio presets in the new Affinity Photo app. 

I attached  an image of a 10 year old app I happen to have and what is the standard of publishing/print to day called Indesign that already had the templates I'm referring to.

Regards,

David

indesign-presets.jpg

26 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Well if you don't want to use preset templates fine for you make them your self, but don't bother people who want them!

Sorry, my intention was not to bother you or anyone else. I meant to point into a direction of a working solution. You're of course free to ask for templates.

Cheers,
d.

I believe offering templates in a few website editing suites has led to their quick and successful acceptance.  Not offering any endorsements, but products such as Elementor, DIVI, and others.  Many offer internal methods for creating one's own template library, but also a ton of pre-builts. 

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

I think a nice solution to this would be to add the functionality to create and store templates in Publisher but not include them in the app, they could be added to the resources section of the forum for users to choose which ones they need. Additional templates could be added by users. This way people that do not need them do not have the additional bloat in the app and those that do want them have easy access to add them. They could add a link in the template area of the app that directs users to the wherever it is decided to store them.

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 8:15 AM, Murfee said:

I think a nice solution to this would be to add the functionality to create and store templates in Publisher but not include them in the app, they could be added to the resources section of the forum for users to choose which ones they need. Additional templates could be added by users. This way people that do not need them do not have the additional bloat in the app and those that do want them have easy access to add them. They could add a link in the template area of the app that directs users to the wherever it is decided to store them.

Is there a resource for this? I can add what I've made as templates.  Not sure where to upload them otherwise.

5 hours ago, biz_kid1 said:

Is there a resource for this? I can add what I've made as templates.  Not sure where to upload them otherwise.

Hi @biz_kid1,

there is a forum section called 'Resources' where you could share your files:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/11-resources/

Cheers,
d.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, All Media Lab said:

I attached  an image of a 10 year old app I happen to have and what is the standard of publishing/print to day called Indesign that already had the templates I'm referring to.

Damn, you RIGHT! I also have templates in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Templates/InDesign! Never saw them. ....actually, they are not in much demand, as designers tend to set up documents as needed.

But of course it would be nice to have templates download section available in HELP & SUPPORT section in affinity website.

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Damn, you RIGHT! I also have templates in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Templates/InDesign! Never saw them. ....actually, they are not in much demand, as designers tend to set up documents as needed.

But of course it would be nice to have templates download section available in HELP & SUPPORT section in affinity website.

It'd be nice to have them on-demand in app, in my opinion. The biggest perk I find is that I am self-taught and looking at the templates is how I most easily figure out what does what!

Whilst it is great to have examples as ideas you can see from the Trick or Treat Flyer that Biz_Kid1 uploaded, that to use them you would need the resources and the fonts embedded to make them work, otherwise you are better looking at the idea or layout  and building on it yourself. I am certainly finding to my detriment and posted recently that you soon start eating up drive space with brushes, assets, styles, macros etc. Put template in the mix as well, saved in my case on my 256GB SSD and it soon gets out of hand. 

I have blank "templates" set up with guides / bleeds/ margins for different layouts without content and just the master pages to keep size to a minimum. There is a wealth of ideas on the web, most of which you can download or open in Publisher or Designer as pdfs if needed, but by the time you have changed all the content you may as well start from scratch.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

It would be nice too if the themplates could be saved with different extension like .INDT for InDesign. So, when you open it you get "Untitled 1" instead of the name of the file.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 10/25/2019 at 12:50 AM, Petar Petrenko said:

It would be nice too if the themplates could be saved with different extension like .INDT for InDesign. So, when you open it you get "Untitled 1" instead of the name of the file.

On the Mac you can already get very close to this using the Stationery Pad feature of the OS as described here:

One current limitation (as @Old Bruce pointed out in that thread) is that it currently works by duplicating the document and keeping the copy in the same place as the template.  With many current MacOS apps you can then easily rename and move the document to a more appropriate location by using options that appear when clicking on its title in the title bar, but the Affinity apps are currently a bit behind the curve in supporting this now-common user interface feature on the Mac...

To my knowledge there is no Windoze equivalent to this feature.

Wait, what?

I just came here to ask where are the templates, as I can't find them?

I just purchased, moments ago, as I figured it's time to move on from my trusty Serif - and the templates for that are looking a bit old.

So there are NO templates for Affinity Publisher? Not even basic guidelines or pre-sized docs?

Holy pants.

4 minutes ago, AlanPC said:

there are NO templates for Affinity Publisher

Correct, at this time there are no templates bundled with the program.  That is something which may or may not come in some future version.  Note that QuarkXPress at $975 for a new user doesn't include any either, and that has been around a lot longer than Affinity Publisher, so this is not exactly unprecedented.

There are a handful of page size presets available when creating a new document, and there is a Resources area on the forum where users could share "starter documents" of sorts (to serve as templates) if they wish to create them to share.  I would expect that most users of software that is targeting the market that Publisher seems to be would not want to use the templates even if they had them, but clearly there are some who do.

Personally I would expect them to be useful with guides to align output to pre-printed forms, sheets of labels, etc., rather than with any kind of content layout on them.

Well one of the things I loved about Serif Pageplus was I could pick a template and please a client with a new brochure that looked pretty good, as I'm 100% a sales copywriter, not a designer or graphics person.

So right now I have the brief from a client, a brochure for an upcoming conference, to attract new business partners...

My choices are basically the size of paper and in inches or mm, with ZERO help towards creating any kind of brochure. Not even a trifold layout, nothing at all. To have any chance of getting this done in time it looks like I need to go back to Pageplus then. 

Export the templates you like from PagePlus as PDF and open them in Publisher. With a little extra work you have now templates you liked and used before.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Could you post a PDF (generated from PagePlus) with the problems you described above? There should be a solution somewhere ...

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Here's the example I just played with, if anyone is curious. 

I'll have to move on, as the conference is 21st of next month and I need to work on the message. If using an old Pageplus template then I can just use Pageplus, with no need to workaround with Affinity. 

I'd love to see Affinity offer such templates, paid or not, indeed I'd like to see them make money from such things to help ensure the long-term health of the company. Perhaps open a store that others can sell their designs? I've written to template.net, asking if they have any plans of supporting this software, but it's just a forlorn shot in the dark and I think we already know the answer.

Perhaps if the Serif/Affinity people were to reach out to such companies, making it easy for them to convert indesign templates?

Feels pretty silly to buy this software, then find myself using ancient PagePlus or downloading MICROSOFT WORD templates, in order to publish a simple brochure? 

Offering templates takes away nothing from those that want a blank screen and freedom but would make a huge difference to people like me, that want a tool to help them publish things. Right now, to be blunt, this software is pretty much useless to me. A blank screen doesn't help me at all, and my first attempt at editing a PDF has left me entirely underwhelmed.

I need to get on with some actual work now. Thanks for trying :)

Publication1.pdf