You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I open/import Indesign Files into Publisher?

I would like to know this too. It was a question in the Beta forum and we were told that it would be available 'in a few weeks'. Now that the full version is available, I was hoping that this would have been sorted prior to the launch. It is a deal changer for me.

I'd be interested in this feature too. You can export an InDesign document to PDF, and then import the PDF into Publisher - but that workflow doesn't quite keep the document structure (text frames, images etc) of the original file.

• Staff

@Janath

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

To All.

This is a very popular request and IDML is being worked on but was not ready for the initial launch, sorry. If this is important to you, you may want to save your IDD files in IDML format in preparation for this feature.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@aboderc

7 hours ago, aboderc said:

DML data can not be opened in Publisher. When will this work?

I am head of QA and have not any control of the order features are released. Having said that, IDML import has been worked on by the development team for some time and I expect to see it in a customer beta in a 1.x version. Our public beta has made it clear this was not in the application yet, as do the new Affinity Publisher marketing pages. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

53 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

IDML import has been worked on by the development team for some time and I expect to see it in a customer beta in a 1.x version

B|

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is such an important feature. No matter how good this suite of tools is, (and it is awesome-no doubt at all) if you can't open other people's files, and you can't save in a format they can open, it's pretty much a deal breaker. I can't wait to see this introduced. I'm literally holding my breath.

• Staff

@Zelnat

Breathe, please literally take some breaths 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 6/22/2019 at 7:17 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@aboderc

I am head of QA and have not any control of the order features are released. Having said that, IDML import has been worked on by the development team for some time and I expect to see it in a customer beta in a 1.x version. Our public beta has made it clear this was not in the application yet, as do the new Affinity Publisher marketing pages. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Bad Deal! Affinity wrote that IDML files or InDesign files can be opened and edited. That was crucial to my purchase. I did not understand anything wrong. That was a purchase criterion for me. Your statement that it worked in the beta but not in the published version, also shows me that the marketing cheated on me as a user / buyer. This is not a good advertisement for Affinity.

1 minute ago, aboderc said:

Bad Deal! Affinity wrote that IDML files or InDesign files can be opened and edited. That was crucial to my purchase. I did not understand anything wrong. That was a purchase criterion for me. Your statement that it worked in the beta but not in the published version, also shows me that the marketing cheated on me as a user / buyer. This is not a good advertisement for Affinity.

There is nothing left for me to do but wait. Is it foreseeable when there will be the new release?

• Staff
2 hours ago, aboderc said:

Affinity wrote that IDML files or InDesign files can be opened and edited. That was crucial to my purchase. I did not understand anything wrong.

I fear you did misunderstand, sorry. Where did you see that written? It was not in anything I saw. Please forward any email to me (pconnor@serif.com) or link to any marketing or social media post where that was said by Serif staff or representatives.

Your statement that it worked in the beta but not in the published version, also shows me that the marketing cheated on me as a user / buyer. 

You have misunderstood what I am saying. This feature has never been a part of any beta, but is being worked on internally. It has not even been seen by the QA team yet, so I am sorry that you think nything has been removed but I assure you it has not. I still expect to see it in a future 1.x beta where x is MORE than 7 (the current release). So that woudl mean anyone who has already bought 1.7 will see this feature appear in a future version 1 beta and a future free update if testing goes well.

There is nothing left for me to do but wait.

That is not correct you can ask for a refund of your pre-order by emailing AffinityReturns@serif.com within 14 days of the software launch

Is it foreseeable when there will be the new release?

I do not know when that will be no.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Zelnat said:

So, 2 months later, I'm wondering whether there is any indication yet, as to if and when Affinity Publisher might be able to open .indd files.

Two months is a very short time to expect any news on this!

Many requested features, which Serif do seem to be planning on adding at some time, have been dragging on for years! :/

(In all fairness, I understand the problems, but it can still be a little frustrating, when you really need some feature that you've been used to using in other software.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad