You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

StudioLink: Designer not recognized

When clicking on Design Persona in Affinity Publisher, the dialogue below appears. All Affinity applications are installed in the latest version and work properly. I have stopped and restarted all of them. Still, the integration of Publisher with Photo works perfectly, not so with Designer.

image.png.0f857577e10f7efe688208c1e50d67ce.png

Hello @miklas0815,
Welcome to this forum.

Try the following.
Start Publishers.
Create a new file. (Insert text or image)
file
Edit in Affinity Desinger
Close file
After that, there should be no error message

I hope it helps.

Unbenannt.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Struggling with this too. Tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, designer is greyed out in the menu.

image.png.685f69d8beacecfcc4564943c3deb912.png

Tried so far:

• Re-installing all three apps -> no effect
  • Restarting windows -> nothing
  • Opening closing -> Nope
  • Making/saving files -> none
  • Placing file -> nada
  • Opening apps simultaneously -> nope

All apps are downloads from this morning (1.7.1.404). Oddly enough, Photo (eval copy) works, but Designer (licensed) doesn't.

I'm having the same issue with both Photo and Designer.
I can open both via the File pulldown menu (Windows user), but the persona buttons just bring up the Studiolink warning message

Both Photo and Designer are up to date.

3 hours ago, MMetzger said:

Should I buy Photo and Designer again as directed in Publisher and then ask for a refund, since I already own both?

No, that does not seem advisable.

Since you already have them, getting additional copies should not help.

Please confirm again your version numbers for Publisher, Photo, and Designer using Help > About dialogs. Also, where did you buy each of them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

StudioLink doesn't work for me too, both Designer and Photo are not recognized. Tried all the tricks from this and the other thread with no success. Also the Modify in Photo from Designer and the Modify in Designer from Photo doesn't work anymore.

11 minutes ago, Stefanoc said:

StudioLink doesn't work for me too, both Designer and Photo are not recognized. Tried all the tricks from this and the other thread with no success. Also the Modify in Photo from Designer and the Modify in Designer from Photo doesn't work anymore.

Solved!

After having deleted the .appinfo files it still didn't work but double clicking on a file for each application recreated the right .appinfo files and it worked.

5 hours ago, Stefanoc said:

@JGA you need to update Designer and Photo to 1.7.1.404

OK, thanks. The applications didn't flag up an update, but will give it a try.

Update - Thanks Stefanoc, your suggestion worked. All software has the same version number and are now playing with each other.

Edited by JGA
Updated software to fix problem

19 hours ago, MMetzger said:

Nothing that I have tried make StudioLink work.

Should I buy Photo and Designer again as directed in Publisher and then ask for a refund, since I already own both?

Thanks,

Mike

Using  v1.7.1.404 of all three Apps. I tried everything listed by everybodyIN THIS AND OTHER THREADS with no success. 

I bought Photo & Designer a couple of years ago, using a now-defunct email address and I was wondering if different email addresses had an influence.

Rather than buy, I requested a free trial and downloaded Designer & Photo from the site accessed from within Publisher, using my current email address. That didn't work either.  I thought that maybe downloading another copy of Publisher from a different Serif site might help. There had been some discussion about Beta versions not working and though I had downloaded v1.7.1.404, I had done so from the Beta stream. . I downloaded Publisher v1.7.1.404 from the store rather than from within the forum.

THAT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!! 

I don't know which steps had the desired effect, and I can't imagine I will use the Persona option too often --- but it's VERY impressive.  

I am hoping that the Finance software can find my Product Keys: if not I'll talk to the nice guys at Serif Support :/

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, Ralph said:

. . . . I downloaded Publisher v1.7.1.404 from the store rather than from within the forum.

THAT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!! . . . . 

This might imply there's a difference between the versions in the forum and in the store, which I find very strange. Tried all the suggestions in the forum, but Studiolink still does not work from within Publisher. Such a major feature (that sets Publisher apart from the competition) should not cause so many problems.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

• Staff

Hi VectorWhiz,
I shouldn't make any difference where you bought them. Can you give us a few more details about your situation? Where did you bought the applications and what versions are you using/running? Make sure they are all updated to the latest versions and that you have run/started each one at least once.

• Staff
1 minute ago, VectorWhiz said:

Publisher version is 1.7.3.481. OS is Windows 10 with up to date updates.

Having the customer beta 1.8.0.514 of Designer and Photo is not relevant to Publisher 1.7.3 (it's only relevant Publisher customer beta 1.8.0.x)

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.xxx requires to find Affinity Photo 1.7.3 and Affinity Designer 1.7.3 on the same machine, and for them to have been run at least once. It should not make a difference which store you bought these from. Publisher 1.7.3 needs Designer and Photo 1.7.3 (so not 1.7.2 for example and not customer beta 1.8.0)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I trust future upgrades of the programs will sort out this compatibility issue. I already created a bunch of files in the newer Designer and Photo Beta version, which causes it to make sense for me to stick to them. I was just wondering why the Studiolink did not work.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

• Staff

You can install Publisher Beta 1.8.0 for the studiolink to function with those betas. This is the designed behaviour and will not likely change.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon