You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection Tool/Node tool stop working

This is a bug I experienced on my Windows computer only, an HP Omen desktop machine, 64-bit system, i7-7700K CPU 4.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti. I use both a mouse and a Huion pen tablet as input methods. This bug did not occur on Affinity Designer 1.6.

So, what happens is that after 5-10 minutes of work, the Selection tool and the Node Tool stop working. I am no longer able to move or select any object in the document. I cannot even draw a selection marquee. The behavior stops if I restart Designer, but reappears soon after. This bugs make the new version of Designer unusable for me. I went back to 1.6 after noticing it, but that's inconvenient. I also have a MacBook Pro with the 1.7 on it and since I always sync files between the two computers, I can't really work seamlessly.

I was hoping that the 1.7.1 update would fix the bug, but it didn't. It seems to me that it made it worse. The behavior occurs with all documents. 

Is anyone else experiencing this bug?

I'm sure if I'm having the exact issue you two mentioned, but I'm running into a similar issue that I end up with the Hand tool and I'm unable to use anything else. Restarting the software is the only solution. Working in Affinity Publisher, and using Sync Utility to work on Affinity Designer. 

• Staff

Hi guys,

There is a known issue that changing the focus to a different window whilst using a tablet can cause issues with the tools not working correctly. For example Brush Tools will start to start straight lines only and the Pan Tool no longer pans.

This is something that is with development to be fixed. You can either use your mouse to click back into Affinity after changing focus, or ensure you click the application's title bar rather than in the drawing area.

It is simpler for me to stick to one monitor. BTW having 2 monitors with different resolutions completely foxes Designers 'Actual Size' view on either monitor. I end up having to use a ruler on top of my main monitor and tweak the zoom accordingly. Working on one monitor simplifies that too.

Glad you are working on it though!

Going to add to this as well. I can affirm that I'm having similar difficulties as of 7/7/19 - works for a bit, then not, pan not working, brush only makes straight lines made, etc.
Adding - the "High Precision Tablet input" (Preferences> Tools) messes with the input screen area. The screen IS set up correctly for this monitor - I get near the left toolbar and... zip, my cursor is on the right side of the monitor? Whaaaaat?  Turning this off fixes the problem.
I appreciate the team working on this issue, but I'm not enjoying being "locked" onto one monitor.  FYI - the only thing i had on a second monitor was the Layers Pallet. :O 

Huion H1060P w/ battery free pen / (3) monitors / Both huion drivers and Photo & Designer 1.7.1.404 have the latest updates.

• Staff

I've just spoken with development and disabling the 'Use Windows Ink' option in the Wacom (Under Mapping) drivers will solve this. I'm not sure if Huion or other drivers have a similar option you can disable? Failing that just Alt+Tabbing out of and back into the app should correct the issue.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Wacom Tablet starts drawing straight line after changing focus) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. However, you will need to enable Windows INK inside the Wacom Mapping tab. 

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

• 2 months later...