You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I've run into another issue with PDFs being brought into Publisher (besides PDF objects getting moved around). When I try to print a Publisher project which contains an imported PDF, any text/objects created in Publisher print perfectly, but all text/objects in the PDF print rasterized, with jagged pixelated lines. In addition to printing directly from Publisher, I also exported the Publisher project as a PDF. This exported PDF looks perfect when zoomed in, but when I print it, the rasterization is still there. I double checked the original imported PDF just to make sure it printed fine, it does, prints perfectly.

This is the first time I've tried printing from Publisher including an imported PDF, so I don't know if this is a problem with all imported PDFs or not.

• Staff

Thanks. I've looked into this and we believe it is expected. We tried it a few other software and they all behave the same. I believe it's something to do with PDF passthrough and lines not being aligned "pixel/point perfect". 

Thanks for looking into this. So does that mean it is something that can eventually be made to print correctly in Affinity Publisher, or is it fundamentally an issue with the software that generated the PDF (Sibelius) and there would be no way to bring it into Publisher to print correctly even though the PDF prints correctly on its own?

On 6/21/2019 at 5:33 AM, GabrielM said:

I believe it's something to do with PDF passthrough and lines not being aligned "pixel/point perfect".  

If that is the case, does that mean that when Placing a PDF into a Publisher document we need to take care to place it on integer X/Y pixel positions (much like Artboards in Designer)?

@Nathan Shirley: You might try moving your PDF pages a bit on your Publisher page. The top one has a Y position of 783.16px, when viewed in the Transform panel. Perhaps nudging it to exactly 783px would help?

The bottom one, similarly, has a Y position of 2007.02px. Again, nudging to an integer position might help?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I see. I can play around with it and see if that fixes it. If it does, then I definitely think Publisher should automatically align to whole pixels when snapping to center, left, right, etc. Even if that means Publisher has to cheat the PDFs over a tiny bit from true center, left, right, etc. If there's some reason why people wouldn't want this behavior, it could be on by default with the ability to turn it off.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:33 AM, GabrielM said:

Thanks. I've looked into this and we believe it is expected. We tried it a few other software and they all behave the same. I believe it's something to do with PDF passthrough and lines not being aligned "pixel/point perfect". 

Gabriel's statement is complete hogwash.

I can open the pdf in something that opens a pdf for editing and produce a proper PDF from it. As well I can place it in something that is not opening it for editing (thereby using pdf passthrough).

In both cases it does not matter where it is placed on a page nor what size I place it or otherwise resize iy.

If this rasterizing depended on being placed on whole pixels, Affinity applications, or how they worked, needs to be scraped and begun all over again. It is impossible to align such things where everything is so-called pixel perfectly aligned.

Geez...

• Staff
On 6/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, MikeW said:

If this rasterizing depended on being placed on whole pixels, Affinity applications, or how they worked, needs to be scraped and begun all over again. It is impossible to align such things where everything is so-called pixel perfectly aligned.

We've had another look and it turns out that an embedded document does not pass through, but rasterizes before print, even if it's just vector data... That's why I said initially it's something to do with everything being pixel aligned. This should not rasterise though. I've logged it with our developers. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.