You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suddenly can't select objects in any layer other than active/selected?

Hello! LOVE this app but a sudden problem with new update...

I have a document with 15 layers and multiple objects in each. All visible at this time.

Before update, I could select any visible object on screen regardless of the layer it was in.

After update, I can only select an object in the current "active" layer. When I try to select an object not in that same "active" layer, it will not let me (does nothing) until I go to that layer in the toolbar and pick any random object in the list of those in that layer. Once that layer is "active" (not sure how else to describe, sorry!) then I can select anything in that layer but only that layer!

Happened right after update to 1.7.1.

Is there a setting I need to change or is this a bug?

Cheers and thank you!

Mike :-)

My guess is the little icon at the bottom left of the Layers panel that looks like a stack of 3 sheets of paper with the tooltip "Edit All layers" is not enabled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I start to experience the same problem, i.e. I can't select objects in any layer other than active/selected ones, after just updating Affinity Designer to 1.8.4, it is the same as MIKEBOONE experience.

I did enabled the "Edit All layers" button (even close and opened the program) but still the problem continues, nothing changed.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you!

Memet

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, RachelP said:

I’m having a problem with selecting layers. It’s only letting me select the background. It let me edit it before and now I’m not sure what’s going on. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Application, and release? OS and release? Screenshots or a video so we can see the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...
52 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

Hi, similar issue-would you be kind to advice some solution?
AF 1.10.6.1665, Win10 22H2
Just try to select 'escher' cube/elements...

Not sure what you mean by  'escher' cube/elements but if you mean the rectangular curve layer on page 3 with x on each of the move handles signifying it is locked, that's because it is an element of your Typowa 01 master page, so you would need to select it to edit it there, or if you want to do that on the document page, select the Typowa 01 parent layers, right-click on them & choose Edit Detached.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7