You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been using affinity for less than a year and really impressed with Affinity photo. Now you have brought out Affinity designer this really is exciting. But I am wondering why you would buy designer it seems similar to photo. So I am not really sure what you would use it for. Unless I have missed something.

Publisher I can understand and one that I may consider buying but I need to do some more research on this first.

I don't use Designer but, I think one of the main features is the ability to work with vector paths and vector brushes. Affinity Photo is aimed squarely at photo editing where as Designer is aimed at. . .erm. . .designing.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

If you are coming from the Adobe world you might think of it like:

Designer similar to Illustrator

Photo similar to Photoshop

Publisher similar to Indesign

If you are not in the graphic design world, then that might not make sense.

FWIW, Designer, not Photo, was the first app in the Affinity suite, first released for Macs in 2014. In yesterday's Live 2019 keynote video, it was revealed beginning around the 14:45 mark that from the beginning the overall concept for the apps was seamless access to the core features of all the Affinity apps through StudioLink, their name for the technology built into Affinity Publisher that allows owners of all 3 apps to do exactly that, without the need to launch anything other than Publisher.

So basically, customers can buy only whichever app(s) they need, & if or when they decide they need the more specialized features of one of the others, they can buy them too.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7